You can indeed change the name that the Amazon Alexa enabled speakers respond to when you say it. Current choices are, “Alexa…,” “Amazon…,” “Computer…,” and “Echo…” The word is the name you call out when you want the popular voice assistant to wake up and start listening for a follow-up command / question. It’s how you “get her attention,” so to speak. This setting is not customizable beyond these choices; at least, not yet.
You might wish to change this name for a particular Echo speaker device, so that they don’t all respond at once when you call her. This name is speaker-specific. So if you have multiple echo speakers around the house, you could assign each one a different trigger word
Following are instructions on how to set this watch name for a specific Alexa device connected to your Amazon account.
Change Alexa Name Procedure
1. Locate the Alexa app on your tablet. Our copy of the app is located on the third page of the home screen on our iOS based iPad tablet, as shown next.
2. Then, run the Alexa app. You should then get the Alexa app Home screen, similar to the picture displayed next.
3. Tap the hamburger control to bring up the app’s main menu. This control is pointed at by the blue arrow in the picture just previous. Then, the main menu appears, as shown next.
3. Tap the Settings option, as highlighted by the blue arrow in the previous picture. This brings up the Settings screen, as shown next.
4. Tap the Alexa speaker you wish to change. In this demo, we’re going to modify the Bedroom Dot speaker’s wake word. So, when we tapped that device on the screen above, we got the Device Settings following screen back. We then scrolled down to reveal the wake word option, as circled in the next picture.
5. Tap the Wake Word item, that is circled in blue in the previous picture. You should then see the Change your Wake Word screen, similar to the following.
6. Tap the Wake Word Choices pull down menu item, as circled in blue in the previous picture. You can touch either area. That menu then expands, and appears as follows.
7. Tap the wake word choice you wish. In our case, we’re changing our living room speaker to Amazon. So, we tap the Amazon item on that menu, and then are returned to the Change Your Wake Word screen as follows. But now, the current name is set to Amazon, as shown next.
8. Tap the Save button in the previous picture. After a short pause, the Wake Word Changed window appears as follows.
9. Press the Close button. The app then returns to the Device Settings screen. Your Alexa speaker should now respond to her new name; Amazon in this demo. Check this out.
10. Close the Alexa app.
11. You’re finished!
- 2018-02-12: Originally published.