We’ve been avid mint tea drinkers for nearly two decades. The Chef’s Choice Cordless Electric Glass Kettle Model #680 is a great tool for a tea drinker. It quickly heats water, for those who just can’t wait for that tea.
The 680 glass kettle is not really cordless. There is in fact, a cord attached to the base stand. It plugs into a fifteen amp outlet.
But the pot itself has no permanently attached power cord. So this makes for much easier filling and less dangerous pouring.
This is a substantial appliance. It exudes an air of durability and dependability that you’d probably like owning. Nothing looks cheap about this cordless yet electric teapot. It’s fun watching the water boil inside through the glass.
Benefits, Features, Pros, and Advantages of the Chef’s Choice 680 Glass Electric Kettle
Nearly 1.5 Liters
Heats 1.42 liters of water in approximately seven minutes here in Altoona, PA. It may heat more quickly at higher altitudes.
The Chef’s Choice Glass Kettle Heats Water Quietly
Low noise level, even when the water is boiling.
Non Slip Feet
The stand that supplies power to the kettle itself has anti-skid feet. These prevent sliding of the whole unit, even when full. These also provide sound isolation from the counter. So they help keep the kettle quieter as it heats.
Attached Plastic Lid
Features an attached black plastic lid. This latches open for near effortless filling. Then it stays closed to contain hot liquids while pouring.
The large mouth on the top makes for quick and easy filling and cleaning with little slop and spill.
Adjustable Length Power Cord
You can wrap any excess cord up on the underside of the stand.
A clear, lit lever makes starting and stopping the electric kettle a snap; literally. The lights up while heating is in progress.
The Chef’s Choice 680 Glass Kettle has a Water Level Meter
A printed easy-to-read scale, located behind the handle, shows how full the kettle is.
Fast Water Boiling
Heats 1.42 liters of cold water to a rolling boil in less than eight minutes, through and through. Indeed, more efficient than a microwave oven for fast heating of up to six cups of water.
Auto Shutoff when Water Boils
This heated kettle automatically shuts off soon after the water inside begins to boil. The kettle will also deactivate if all the water inside is allowed to boil completely away.
The Stand for the Chef’s Choice 680 Glass Kettle is Not a Burner
The supporting stand remains cool to the touch, as it contains no heating element. The heaters are sealed in the bottom of the removable kettle, beneath the glass part.
Glass and Stainless Steel Build
Has the modern look of a brushed stainless steel finish on its base and stand. Plus, it has black plastic for the handle and lid. This trim compliments the metal and clear glass with a subtle yet contrasting look.
With the handle being plastic, there is little chance of electric shock from the 680.
Easy to Pour, Even when Full
The positioning of the handle provides great balance. Thus, you get ease of carrying this kettle from its stand to your teacup. So pouring is a breeze.
The Chef’s Choice 680 Glass Kettle has a Small Footprint on Kitchen Counter
Takes up little space, as the pitcher part sits directly atop the base stand.
One Year Limited Warranty
Disadvantages, Cons, Limitations, and Problems
A Bit Costly
At nearly $60, the price was a trifle high, since competing brands cost less than half of this. But the glass sides feature gives this kettle a more “ritzy” look that might compel people to pay the extra.
Can be Somewhat Noisy
Occasionally, this cordless electric kettle clicks and snaps, even hours after last use. This is likely the shut-off switch inside cooling down. They could stop this noise by using a fully electronic thermostat system.
Plastic Parts Scratch a Little Too Easily
The plastic lid appears a bit too easy to scratch. An upgrade for this would be a harder cover.
Our Rating on this Chef’s Choice Glass Electric Kettle
In total, we’re quite pleased with the Chef’s Choice International glass kettle, model 680. It’s 1500-watt heater boils water faster than most any other heating method. Plus, it’s easy to clean, and affordable. So, we recommend the 680 to anyone wanting quick hot water quick for beverages. Our rating is thus 93 out of 100.
Related Posts to Chef’s Choice 680 Electric Glass Tea Kettle
- Chef’s Choice Electric Kettle 677-2 Review
- Farberware Cordless Electric Kettle 104556 Review
- How to Clean Stainless Steel Tea Kettle
- Chef Choice Cordless Glass Electric Water Tea Kettle Teapot 679 0001 Review
- Maytag Bravos Washer MVWB750WQ Review
- Cordless Water Kettle Black & Decker® JKC930C Review
- Pelonis Whole Room Heater HO-0250H Review
- Whirlpool WMB31017AB Microwave Oven Review, Over Range
- Glass Top Stove Pros, Cons, Advantages, Disadvantages
- Safest Electric Space Heaters, How to Choose
- Utilitech Treadmill Surge Protector 0090996 Review
- Fixing Noisy Window Air Conditioners, How To
- Portable Space Heaters, How to Safely Use
- Sleep Easy Sound Machine Review, White Fan Noise
- Extension Cord Safety Tips, Help, Advice
- Maytag Bravos Washer MVWB750WQ Review
- How to Free Up a Stuck Garbage Disposal
- Pelonis Electric Radiator Heater, Oil, HO-0260 Review
- Clean a Percolator Coffee Pot, How To
- Top Load vs Front Load Washers
References for Chef’s Choice Glass Kettle
- Chef’s Catalog Web Site. Large selection of Chef’s Choice products here.
- Chef’s Choice 680 Electric Kettle Official Product Page
- Where to Buy the Chef’s Choice International 680 Glass Electric Kettle
- 2019-08-06: Added key phrase targeting for ‘Chef’s Choice Glass Kettle’, removed ad code, and added more links and tags.
- 2017-02-09: Originally published.