This article outlines what you’ll need for Echo Dot 2nd Generation setup. We cover the steps in doing it as well as how to test out your speaker after you finish setup.
What You’ll Need Before Starting Echo Dot 2nd Generation Setup
1. A WiFi Internet Connection
None of the Echo devices built to date has an Ethernet RJ45 port. So, your only option for Echo Dot 2nd generation setup, is to connect them to the Alexa service via your wireless network. This network must have internet access. Note that Alexa on your Echo device will not work without a properly configured wireless internet connection.
2. An Amazon Account
Go to https://amazon.com/ to set up a new account there if you do not already have one. Typically, your account user name is your email address.
3. The Alexa App
Finally, the Alexa app is available in the Google Play (Android) store, as well as the App Store (iOS). Download and install the right version on your tablet.
Echo Dot 2nd Generation Setup Procedure
1. Unpack your Echo Dot 2
First, the Dot comes in a small blue box, and the box itself is in a plastic bag. Remove that outer bag, and slit the tape securing the box top closed with a sharp knife.
Open the box and spread the contents out on a table. You should have the Dot, the power adapter, and a micro USB to USB-A cable.
Remove all clear plastic protectors from the Dot from the side and top. This exposes the USB and audio output (headphone) cable ports (side) and volume up-down, mic mute, and wake buttons (top).
Then, unpack the adapter and cable, which may also be packed in plastic bags. You’re now ready to proceed with Echo Dot 2nd generation setup.
2. Run the Alexa App
Pick up your tablet and bring up the Amazon Alexa app. If this is your first Echo device, the app prompts you to set up a new device.
3. Check your Amazon Account Credentials to Continue with Echo Dot 2nd Generation Setup
Thirdly, if you haven’t yet signed in to your Amazon account with this app, the app prompts for your Amazon account info (user Id and password). If you haven’t yet created an Amazon account, visit amazon.com and follow the instructions there to set up a new one.
4. Enter Amazon Account Id and Password
In this step in Echo Dot 2nd generation setup, should the Alexa app ask, enter your Amazon account details.
This then signs you in. The app then remembers your account info any time you run it. That way, you won’t have to enter this data every time.
5. If the App Does Not Ask You to Set Up a New Device…
If this Dot is not your first Echo device, the app displays its Home screen, with a menu on the left side of that screen. In this scenario, we use the iOS version of the Alexa app.
6. Go to the Settings Screen
Do this by tapping the Settings menu item (left side of screen).
The Settings screen displays.
7. Go to the Set Up New Device Screen to Continue with Echo Dot 2nd Generation Setup
Next in Echo Dot 2nd generation setup, get there by tapping the so-named item, found on the Settings screen Alexa Devices group. That screen gives you a choice of which device (Echo, Echo Tap, or Echo Dot) to set up.
8. Tap the Echo Device that Matches the One you’re Setting Up
You’ll then see the Choose Language screen.
9. Choose the Language
Use the drop-down menu to pick the language you’ll be speaking to this device (English (United States) is selected by default).
Then, press the Continue button.
The Begin Echo Dot Setup screen appears.
10. Tap the Connect to WiFi Button
A picture of a Dot in setup mode with the rotating orange light appears on your tablet screen. At this point, make sure that your Dot is connected to power and that the orange light ring on its outer edge is glowing. The orange light means that the Amazon.XXX network is currently “live.”
11. Press the Continue Button to Continue with Echo Dot 2nd Generation Setup
The Connect your iPad to Echo Dot screen displays.
Per that screen’s instructions in this part of Echo Dot 2nd generation setup, go to your WiFi settings page on your tablet and look for the Amazon.XXX WiFi network. It’s an unsecured (open) network, so you need no password to connect to it.
Not to worry though, as this network is only active while setting up your Dot. Otherwise, it’s disabled and non one use it to hack your Dot.
12. Connect the Power Adapter to your Echo Dot 2nd Generation Speaker
Plug the micro USB end of the power cord into the matching port on your Dot. Plug the USB A connector into the matching port on the AC adapter power supply. Then, plug that adapter into a working 120-volt AC outlet.
13. Watch the Echo Dot Power Up
The light ring first turns bright blue with an aqua (turquoise) blip that circles around the blue light ring.
After several seconds, the light ring turns orange, and a female voice says, “Hello. Your Amazon Echo Dot is ready for setup. Just follow the instructions in your Alexa app.” If this does not happen, you may have to reset your Dot. Follow one of these procedures at the following links, for the Gen 1 or Gen 2 Dots, depending on which model you have (generation one or generation two).
At this point, the Echo Dot creates its own WiFi network, to which you must connect your tablet to temporarily, to program in the credentials.
14. Connect to the Amazon.XXX WiFi Network to Continue with Echo Dot 2nd Generation Setup
Back on your tablet, tap the Amazon.XXX item in the WiFi networks list. Note that the Amazon.XXX network only appears when your Dot is in setup mode, and your tablet is close enough to the Dot to pick it up. Again, remember that once you finish setup, this network goes away.
Be sure your tablet and Dot are close enough for the tablet to see the Dot’s Amazon.XXX WiFi network. Echo Dot 2nd generation setup doe snot work if you’re too far away from the speaker. If you do not see this, move the Dot closer to the tablet and then, on the tablet, check the available WiFi networks list once again.
When you’ve successfully connected your tablet to this network, your Dot will sound a pleasant tone and say, “You’ve connected to Echo Dot. Go ahead and finish the setup in your Alexa app.” Not only do you hear this message from the Dot itself, but the Alexa app on your tablet also displays a similar message on the screen.
15. Press the Continue Button back in Alexa App
To choose the WiFi network you dot will ultimately use during normal operation, tap the Continue button.
This starts a scan for in-range WiFi networks that your Dot sees.
Then after a few seconds, it displays that list onscreen.
16. Select the WiFi network to Connect your Echo Dot 2nd Generation To
From that list, tap the wireless network name your dot should use. This network must have internet and be able to reach the Amazon infrastructure servers for your Echo Dot to work correctly.
The Alexa app then prompts you (if the network has been secured) to enter its password.
17. Enter the WiFi Password
Tap in the correct password for the network SSID you’ve chosen.
18. Press the Connect Button to Continue with Echo Dot 2nd Generation Setup
Lastly, after typing in the password, press the connect button on that same screen. This instructs the Echo Dot to attempt to connect to the WiFi network you’ve just specified. This connecting may take several tens of seconds. But eventually, if you’ve entered the correct password, the Dot successfully connects to your WiFi network.
You’ll then see the “Preparing your Echo Dot.” message and a progress bar begins advancing as information is exchanged with the Amazon infrastructure.
After a short pause, and if all goes well, you’ll see the “Setup is complete. Your Dot is now connected to WiFi” message. At this point, the Amazon.XXX network has been turned off. So it can no longer be used to access your Dot. All further access happens via your WiFi network.
Echo Dot 2nd Generation Setup is Done!
Once you finish the Echo Dot 2nd generation setup routine, your Dot is ready to receive and respond to commands and questions once the orange light ring goes dark. The Alexa app offers to show you an introductory video. Try asking your Dot some questions like:
- Alexa, what time is it?
- Hey Alexa, what’s the weather?
- Alexa, give me my flash briefing.
- Okwy Alexa, tell me a joke.
- Alexa, how are you today?
- Hey Alexa, sing happy birthday.
… and so on. Enjoy your Echo device. They’re awesome!
Related Posts to Echo Dot 2nd Generation Setup Instructions
- Belkin F9K1106v1 WiFi Booster Setup Instructions
- Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 2 Setup Instructions
- Honeywell Thermostat WiFi Setup RTH8580WF
- Echo Dot 3 Setup Instructions for Amazon Alexa 3rd Generation Dot
- Belkin F9K1122v1 N600 Plug In WiFi Range Extender Setup Instructions
- Alexa Echo Subwoofer Setup Instructions for Amazon Echo Sub Speaker
- Netgear EX3700 Setup Instructions, How To
- http //belkin.range/Setup Instructions for the F9K1106v1 N600 Belkin Wi-Fi Extender
- Gosund Mini WiFi Outlet Setup Instructions
- Alexa Echo Dot WiFi Setup Instructions
- Ultimate Ears Wonderboom Setup Instructions
- Google Home Setup Instructions for their First Speaker
- Pandora Setup on Google Home Instructions
- HP DeskJet 3632 Setup Instructions
- Honeywell RTH9580WF WiFi Setup Instructions
- Xerox Phaser 3150 Printer Setup Instructions
- Belkin Range Extender Setup F9K1106v1 Instructions
Other Posts About the Echo Dot 2nd Generation Speaker
- Unpacking Echo Dot 2nd Gen Speaker
- AC Power Adapter Specs for Amazon Alexa Echo Dot 2 Smart Speaker
- Amazon Echo Dot Smart Speaker Review, Gen 2
- Change Echo Dot Wake Word, How To
- How to Set the Sleep Timer on Amazon Alexa Echo Dot Gen 2 Smart Speaker
- Use Echo Dot as Bluetooth Speaker, How To
- Resetting Amazon Alexa Echo Dot 2nd Gen to Factory Default
- Spotify Setup Instructions on Amazon Echo Alexa Devices
References for Echo Dot 2nd Generation Setup
- 2019-05-02: Added targeting for ‘Echo Dot 2nd Generation Setup’, more tags, and more subheadings. Deleted ad code scripts.
- 2016-12-02: Originally published.