Here we answer the question: How to Factory Reset Google Home Mini? You might reset your Google Home Mini smart speaker to get it ready for sale to another person. Or, you want to link it to a new Google account. Or you wish to connect it to a new Wi-Fi network. Whatever the reason, this post will help you. To see how to reset the speaker, follow the routine below.
How to Factory Reset Google Home Mini: May Be Unnecessary
Note that if you want to fix erratic speaker behavior, you may not have to run a complete factory reset. So, before hard resetting, try powering off the unit for fifteen seconds. Do this by unplugging its AC power cable. Then, wait fifteen seconds. Finally, power it up again. This often restores proper operation.
But if simple power cycling does not fix the problem, read on. Or if you wish not to fix a problem but to give the unit away, then again, read on.
Keep in mind that once reset, you cannot work the Mini from the Google account where you did before. To control the speaker again, run through the setup routine. In that routine, relink the speaker to that account once more, via the Google Home app. Or, link it to another Google account. Either way, the choice is yours.
How to Factory Reset Google Home Mini: The Routine
1. Connect the Google Mini Speaker to AC Power
After boot completes, go on to step 2.
2. Press and Hold the Reset Button
This button is located in the orange area on the bottom of the Mini, near the power cord USB plug.
One light on the top then lights up yellow, as shown next. Then, the Google assistant warns you that you’re about to reset the device. It lets you know that if you wish to abort the reset, release the reset button now. But keep holding the button in to perform the reset to factory default state.
How to Factory Reset Google Home Mini: Reset in Progress
The first yellow light then comes on. Next, one more turns on every few seconds until the entire row of four lights up. Factory reset begins shortly thereafter, as long as you keep the reset button firmly depressed.
Do not power off the unit during the factory reset. Why? Because doing so could render it unusable (bricked).
3. Release the Reset Button
Let go of the button when the unit emits a short chime chord sound and the yellow lights go dark.
4. The Factory Reset Starts
Reset begins once the lights go out and the unit stays dark for several seconds, as shown next.
After a pause, the white lights come back on. They show a scanning marquee pattern for three or five seconds, as shown next.
How to Factory Reset Google Home Mini: Rebooting after Reset
5. The speaker Then Does a Reboot
After some seconds, the speaker again goes dark as the factory reset completes. Then, the reboot after that reset starts, as shown next.
After several to ten seconds, the lights come back on, colored dim gray. They show a sort of scanning pattern, as shown next. This means that a reboot after the reset is in progress.
Several seconds into the reboot, the lights turn multi-colored as shown next.
6. Reboot Finishes
Then, you hear the startup complete music and then the speaker speaks, “Welcome to Google Home. To get started, download the Google Home app on a phone or tablet.”
7. The Google Home Mini Then Enters Setup Mode
This means that the unit is now ready to accept setup commands from the Google Home App. The speaker shows this by displaying the four white blips across its top. These lights show a dimming and then brightening pattern. See this in the next picture.
8. Factory Reset Now Done
You may now give your Google Home Mini to another. You need not fear that they’ll access your settings or other personal info. Or, set it up again on your existing account, perhaps with a different Wi-Fi network or device name.
The light row then turns white with the four dots glowing. Then, the unit stays in setup mode until you run the setup procedure. Please note that the speaker will not function until fully set up and linked to a Google account.
Other Posts About the Google Home Mini Smart Speaker
- How to Set Up Spotify on Google Home Mini
- Google Home Mini Power Adapter Specs
- How to Connect Google Home Mini to Bluetooth Speaker
- Google Home Mini Charger Specs for Google Mini Speaker
- How to Set Sleep Timer on Google Home Mini Speaker
- Unlink Google Home from Pandora, How To
- Change WiFi on Google Home Mini, How To Steps
- How to Reset Google Mini Speaker
- Google Home Mini Spotify Commands List
- How to Turn Up Volume on Google Home Mini Speaker
- Clearing Google Assistant Voice Recordings History Instructions
- How to Control Google Home Mini Volume
- AC Power Adapter for Google Home Mini
- How to Turn Down Google Home Mini Volume
- Google Home Mini Bluetooth Pairing Instructions
- How to Pause Google Home Mini
- How to Resume Google Home Mini
- Lower Volume on Google Home Mini, How To
- Restart Google Home Mini Instructions
- Link Spotify to Google Home Mini Instructions
- Google Home Mini Pictures Gallery
- Setting Up Google Home Mini Instructions
- Google Home Mini Unboxing, Step by Step
- How to Adjust Volume on Google Home Mini
- Does Google Home Mini Have Bluetooth Yet?
- Google Home Mini Volume Control, How to Set
- How to Use Google Home Mini as Bluetooth Speaker
- Reboot Google Home Mini, How to Instructions
- How to Adjust Bass and Treble on Google Home Mini
- Unlink Spotify from Google Home Mini, How To
References for Factory Reset Google Home Mini Instructions
- 2020-05-10: Added the Other Posts About… section.
- 2018-04-16: Revised post content for better keyword targeting.
- 2018-03-02: Revised the content.
- 2018-02-19: Originally published.