A Honeywell Thermostat says wait due to at least four different causes. We’ll cover those here, as well as how to solve these problems. Then later, we will add more as we run into them.
Honeywell Thermostat Says Wait While Booting
To fix this wait message, simply wait, like it says, until the boot / reboot process finishes running. You’ll know that booting is done when the thermostat displays its home screen.
We next show the home screens for the RTH8580WF and RTH9580WF Honeywell thermostats.
If this wait message remains onscreen for more than several minutes, then your thermostat may be defective. We recommend replacing it therefore.
Honeywell Thermostat Says Wait when Waiting for Equipment
When the HVAC system finishes heating / cooling, the thermostat turns off the system. Then, in order to avoid damaging the HVAC compressor, the thermostat does not allow the equipment to again turn on until the minimum cycle protection time goes by. While this pause is still active, Honeywell thermostats like the RTH9580WF display the “Waiting for equipment” message, as shown above.
Now to fix this wait message, again, just wait several minutes, until the minimum cycle time has passed. You’ll know that this cycle pausing is finished when the thermostat displays its home screen, and shows that heating or cooling equipment is running.
Please see our Honeywell Thermostat Waiting for Equipment Message, How to Clear on the RTH9580WF Smart Thermostat post for more details.
Honeywell Thermostat Says Wait when Connecting to New WiFi Network
Just after entering a new WiFi network into a Honeywell wireless thermostat, you’ll often see this message show up while the thermostat attempts to connect to the network. Note that this connection process may take up to a minute. After that, if all is well, you’ll get some sort of “connection successful” message, as shown next.
However, if there’s something wrong with your WiFi network, or you entered faulty login credentials into the thermostat, you may see errors as shown on the following thermostat screens.
To solve wait problems of the connecting-to-network variety, wait for the thermostat to display a results oriented message that says whether it connected, or if not, why. Take the indicated actions to resolve.
Please see our Reconnecting Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF to WiFi Network, How To Instructions, Fixing WiFi Problems on Honeywell RTH9580WF Smart Thermostat, Change WiFi Network on Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF, and Change Wireless Network on Honeywell WiFi Thermostat RTH8580WF for more details.
Honeywell Thermostat Says Wait when Waiting for Update
Once the Home screen displays after power up, the outdoor temperature may not appear right away. Why? Because the thermostat must go out to the internet to fetch the current local outdoor temperature. Indeed, obtaining a reading may take up to a minute, and perhaps longer if internet access is slow or has failed.
For all these wait messages, including this one, your best first response is indeed to just wait a few minutes. If all is well, the outdoor temperature will soon display. If it does not after several minutes, check your internet connection. Verify that you connected the thermostat to a WiFi network that has internet access.
Related Posts to Honeywell Thermostat Says Wait
- How to Turn Off Hold on Honeywell Thermostat
- Honeywell Thermostat Waiting for Equipment Message, How to Clear on the RTH9580WF Smart Thermostat
- Waiting for Update Message on Honeywell RTH9580WF Thermostat, What it Means
- Reconnecting Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF to WiFi Network, How To Instructions
- Solving Honeywell WiFi Thermostat Connection Problems
- How to Connect Honeywell Thermostat to Google Home
- Fixing WiFi Problems on Honeywell RTH9580WF Smart Thermostat
- How to Clear Schedule on Honeywell Thermostat
- Change WiFi Network on Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF
- 7 Day Programmable Thermostat Reviews
- How to Change Honeywell Thermostat Temperature Setting
- Changing Wireless Network on Honeywell WiFi Thermostat RTH8580WF
- How to Register Honeywell WiFi Thermostat RTH9580WF Online
- Honeywell Dial Thermostat Pictures
- How to Reconnect Honeywell Thermostat to WiFi
- Fix Noisy Window Air Conditioners, How To
- How to Restart Honeywell Thermostat
References for Honeywell Thermostat Says Wait
- 2019-04-19: Added tags.
- 2018-12-03: First published.