A complete factory reset Alexa Dot speakers is necessary at times. Why? Because maybe you’d like to sell your old Dot, especially with newer versions coming out so often these days. Or perhaps you just want to connect your Alexa to a new Amazon account, or to different WiFi. So, with those tasks in mind, this post details factory resetting the Alexa Dot speakers. For that, follow the steps next. We cover the Alexa Dot Gens 1, 2, and 3.
Resetting unlinks the Alexa Dot from its current Amazon account. Factory reset also assures that the Dot forgets its current WiFi settings.
Warning: After the factory reset, your Alexa speaker will not work until set up again.
Also, to save yourself some set up time, before factory resetting, try powering off the Alexa for fifteen seconds, by disconnecting its power cable either from the wall outlet, or from the unit itself. Wait for a quarter minute, and then connect it again. Powering off then on, often restores proper operation without the headaches of a full factory reset. However, if power cycling does not fix the speaker, then read on for the proper factory reset procedure that often restores correct operation to the Alexa speakers.
How to Factory Reset Alexa Dot 3rd Generation
1. Connect the Power Cable
First, connect the Alexa Dot 3rd Generation speaker to its AC power cord, as shown next.
2. Next, Plug the Adapter End into a Working Wall Outlet
See this as shown next.
Then, wait for the Alexa Dot 3 to finish booting. That’s done when either the light ring goes dark, or it starts flashing orange, red, or purple.
3. Next, Press and Hold the Action Button for Five Seconds
Hold in the Action button until the light ring turns orange, and the Dot 3 Alexa says that it is entering Setup mode. On this 3rd gen of the Alexa Dot line, the Action button also functions as the Factory Reset button. Find it pointed at by the green arrow in the next picture.
4. Finally, What Happens After Alexa Dot 3 Factory Reset?
Your Dot 3rd Generation smart speaker has now been returned to its factory state, and has entered setup mode, as shown next.
How to Factory Reset Alexa Dot Gen 2
Power up this speaker before resetting.
1. Connect your Alexa Dot 2 to Power
Connect the Echo Dot 2 to its USB power adapter. The light ring glows blue for a time, and then goes dark. This means successful boot up.
2. Press the Alexa Dot 2 Factory Reset Button Combo
See our Where is the Amazon Echo Dot Reset Button post, for details on how to find the reset button on the 1st and 2nd gen Alexa Dot devices.
Then, once the light ring goes black, press and hold the Mic Mute and Volume Down buttons. Press these at the same time for the same amount of time.
3. Wait for Alexa Dot 2 Reset to Finish
After a several-seconds pause, the light ring again goes black for a brief pause, and then glows orange.
4. Alexa Dot 2 Factory Reset Now Done
You have now factory reset your Alexa Echo Dot 2 speaker and restored its factory default settings. It has now entered setup mode.
How to Factory Reset Alexa Dot Generation 1
1. Power Up the Alexa Dot 1
Connect the 1st Gen Alexa Echo Dot to its USB power supply. The light ring then light up blue for a bit, and then goes off once the Dot finishes booting.
2. Press the Alexa Dot 1 Factory Reset Button
Once the light ring goes black, use a paper clip end to press in and hold the Reset button. Keep pressing for five to ten seconds. Then, let it go when the light ring turns orange, and then blue.
3. Wait for the Alexa Dot 1 Factory Reset to Finish
After a several-seconds pause, the light ring goes black for a brief few seconds, and then turns orange.
4. Alexa Dot 1 Factory Reset Now Done
You have now restored your Alexa Echo Dot 1st Gen speaker to its factory default state. The speaker enters setup mode after a factory reset.
Set Up Again, or Pack Up
You may now unplug, pack, and give your Echo 2 to someone else. Do not fear that they’ll have access to the Alexa settings on your personal Amazon account. They will not. Factory reset erased those prior values from the Echo 2 speaker.
Or, you can set it up once again on your existing account. Once the light ring turns orange, the unit stays in setup mode until someone runs the setup routine. The Echo 2 will not work until properly set up and linked to an Amazon account.
Other Posts About the Alexa Dot Speaker
- Alexa Dot Spotify Instructions, Setup, Play
- How to Restart Alexa Dot Smart Speaker
- Alexa Dot Picture Gallery
- How to Reset Alexa Dot Smart Speakers
- Pairing JBL Charge 3 with Alexa Dot
- Alexa Dot WiFi Setup Instructions
- How to Hard Reset Alexa Dot
Related Posts to How to Factory Reset Alexa Dot
- Factory Reset Google Mini Speaker Instructions
- How to Factory Reset JBL Flip 5 Bluetooth Speaker
- Factory Reset Echo Spot Instructions, How to Factory Reset
- How to Factory Reset Google Home Original Speaker
- Factory Reset UE Wonderboom Speaker, How To
- HP DeskJet 3630 Factory Reset, How To
- Reset Gosund Mini Smart Plug, Hard Factory Reset
- Echo Dot Gen 2 Smart Speaker Factory Reset Instructions
References for How to Factory Reset Alexa Dot
- 2020-07-11: First published.