When you scan for in-range Bluetooth speakers, your JBL Flip 4 speaker shows up as “JBL Flip 4” by default. But you can change this name using the JBL Connect app along with an iOS or Android based mobile device. In the post, we outline the JBL Flip 4 change name routine, step by step.
First, install the JBL Connect app on your Android or iOS mobile device. Then, turn on your Flip 4 and pair your mobile device with it. Then, once you do all that, follow the routine below to change the speaker’s Bluetooth name.
JBL Flip 4 Change Name, How to Rename the Speaker
1. Find the JBL Connect App on your Mobile Device
Our copy installed on home screen four, as shown next.
2. Run the JBL Connect App
Tap the JBL Connect app icon, as shown in the last picture.
Then, you should see the following screen.
3. Get to the Settings Screen to Continue with JBL Flip 4 Change Name Routine
Tap the gear Settings button, as pointed at in the last picture by the purple arrow.
You should then see the Settings screen for the paired Flip 4 speaker, as shown in the next screenshot.
4. Edit the Settings for the Paired JBL Flip 4 Speaker
Tap the pencil icon next to the Flip 4 speaker, as highlighted by the green arrow in the last screenshot.
Then, you should see the speaker name change screen, as shown next.
5. Edit the Speaker Name Field
Use the displayed virtual keyboard to change the name of the JBL Bluetooth speaker to the name you wish it to assume.
In the next screenshots, we change ours from “JBL Flip 4” to “Tom’s Flip 4”.
First, we backspaced over the default name (“JBL Flip 4”), as shown in the next picture.
Then, we typed in the new speaker name, “Tom’s Flip 4”, as shown next.
6. Tap the Blue Done Key when Finished Editing to Continue with JBL Flip 4 Change Name Procedure
Once you’ve edited the speaker name what you want it to be, tap the blue Done key on the virtual keyboard.
You then receive instructions on how to pair your speaker again with its new name, as shown in the next screenshot.
7. Tap the Blue Got It Link
This takes you back to the Settings screen for the speaker. But now, the JBL Flip 4 appears with its new name assigned, as shown in the next screenshot.
How to Pair the JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Speaker with its New Name
With your JBL Flip 4 still paired under its old speaker name, run through this routine to unpair the Flip 4. forget it in your mobile device, and finally, re pair it under its new name.
1. Power Down the JBL Flip 4 Speaker
This unpairs it from your mobile device.
2. Return your Mobile Device to its Home Screen
Press the Home button to close the JBL Connect app, and reveal the mobile device’s Home screen.
3. Find the Settings App
We found ours on the second page of the iOS home screen on our iPad Air, as shown next.
4. Bring up the Settings App
Tap the Settings app icon.
The mobile device then displays the first page of its settings, as shown next.
5. Go to Bluetooth Settings
Our Bluetooth settings screen displays as follows on our iPad Air tablet. Note that our Bluetooth is enabled here. But since we turned off our JBL Flip 4 speaker, it shows as not connected. See this as shown in this list of previously paired Bluetooth devices, shown next.
6. Tap the JBL Flip 4 Speaker Entry in the My Devices List
The JBL Flip 4 entry is the last item on the list shown in the last screenshot.
Then, the JBL Flip 4 device screen shows, as seen next.
7. Tap the Forget This Device Option
When you tap the Forget This Device link, you then get the Forget “JBL Flip 4” prompt, as shown next.
8. Tap the Red OK Button
Tapping OK removes the JBL Flip 4 data from the mobile device. This stops that device from looking for the speaker with that name, the next time you turn its Bluetooth on.
At any rate, after you hit OK, the Forget JBL Flip 4 window closes, and the system takes you back to the previously paired Bluetooth devices list, as shown next.
9. Turn On your JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Speaker
Turn on the JBL Flip 4 by quickly pressing its Power button. See this circled in green, in the next picture.
The speaker then powers up.
But since it now has a new Bluetooth name that presumably no other nearby Bluetooth devices know about, it will not pair with anything. The light that comes on in the power switch denotes this not-paired state by glowing solid white, as shown next.
10. Put your JBL Bluetooth Speaker into Discovery Mode
Now, to see your newly named Flip 4 speaker on your mobile device, place the speaker into Bluetooth discovery mode. Do this by pressing and releasing the Bluetooth button, as shown in the next picture.
When you press the Bluetooth Discovery Mode button, the speaker makes a repeating single pluck guitar note sound several times. Also, the power button changes from a solid white glow to flashing blue. See this next.
11. Find your Flip 4 with its New Name on your Mobile Device
See the screen shot next. We found our speaker. Note that it appears here with its new Bluetooth device name, as pointed at by the purple arrow.
12. Pair with your Newly Named JBL Flip 4 Speaker
Tap the listed speaker in the Other Devices portion of the Bluetooth devices list.
Your mobile device then pairs with the JBL Flip 4 using its newly assigned name (“Tom’s Flip 4” in this demo). It’s Bluetooth Settings screen then changes to look something like the following.
13. Done with JBL Flip 4 Change Name Directions !
We have now successfully renamed / changed the Bluetooth device name of our JBL Flip 4 waterproof speaker. We’ve also successfully paired it with a mobile device using this new name.
Restoring Default JBL Flip 4 Speaker Name
Note that you can restore the original default speaker name by resetting the JBL Flip 4, as described in our JBL Flip 4 Reset Instructions post. Or, you can rename the speaker back to the “JBL Flip 4” by changing the name back using the above listed routine.
Related Posts to JBL Flip 4 Change Name
- JBL Charge 4 Change Name, How to Rename your Speaker
- Can You Change Amazon Alexa Name? Yes Indeed!
- JBL Xtreme Change Name, How to Rename Xtreme JBL
Other Posts About the JBL Flip 4 Portable Speaker
- JBL Flip 4 Reset Instructions, How to Hard Factory Reset
- Review of the JBL Flip 4 Portable Waterproof Speaker
- JBL Flip 4 Specs, Specifications for this Speaker
- Pairing Instructions for Flip 4 JBL Speaker
- JBL Flip 4 Low Frequency Mode, How to Turn On
- How to Pair JBL Flip 4 with iOS Devices
- JBL Flip 4 Picture Gallery for this Portable Speaker
- Connect JBL Flip 4 to Alexa Speaker Instructions
- How to Pair JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Speaker
- JBL Flip 4 Charger Replacement Suggestions
- Finding JBL Flip 4 Firmware Version
- How to Charge JBL Flip 4 Wireless Bluetooth Speakers
- JBL Flip 4 Buttons Meaning, Lighted Buttons Described
- How to Pair JBL Flip 4 with Victor Reader Trek
- Hard Reset JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Speaker Instructions
- How to Tell if JBL Flip 4 is Charging
- JBL Flip 4 Pairing Instructions, Pairing Flip 4 JBL Speaker
- How to Pair JBL Flip 4 with Google Home Speakers
- JBL Flip 4 Alexa Pairing Bluetooth Speaker Instructions
- How to Connect JBL Flip 4 to iPhone
- JBL Flip 4 Alexa Pairing Bluetooth Speaker Instructions
- How to Adjust Volume on JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Speaker
- JBL Flip 4 Charger Type, Which USB Charger to Use
- JBL Flip 4 Charging Indicator, How to Read to See How Full the Battery Is
- Where is the JBL Flip 4 Reset Button Located
- JBL Flip 4 Wall Charger, Which AC Adapter Works Best
- Charging Instructions for the JBL Flip 4 to Get the Longest Play
- JBL Flip 4 Buttons Layout, What Each Button Does
References for JBL Flip 4 Change Name
- 2019-04-09: Removed ad code. Added tags.
- 2018-05-17: First published.