The Sony X5 mini Bluetooth speaker is a low power, purse size unit with still enough RMS watts to hear comfortably in a small room or outdoor space with strikingly full sounding speech and music output.
But what do the watts a Bluetooth speaker has, tell you about it? Firstly, the watt is a measure of the amount of power speakers like the X5 draw and deliver. Plus, this metric is a handy comparison measure. E.g. Typically, speakers with more watts RMS tend to play louder than those with lower max wattages. The ones with greater power cost more, have larger batteries and chargers, along with heftier drivers. But they also offer more dynamic range, have a deeper bass response, and stereo models offer a bigger soundstage to listeners.
Thus on the whole, the more powerful the speaker, the better it sounds, even on low loudness settings. You get better clarity due to higher accuracy reproduction of the bass, midrange, and treble pieces of the music. More extra watts could produce less clipping distortion as well. So, the speaker’s output watts number is a primary measure of speaker quality and performance, and as such, is of great interest to audiophiles and novice listeners alike.
In this case, the Sony X5, as a small battery powered wireless speaker, is a sufficiently powered model for its size. Its watts can supply the area around a coffee table well with music. See below for details on its power output.
Sony X5 Watts RMS: Details
- Battery Capacity: 20.72 watt-hours (7.4 volts, 3.4 amp-hours).
- Suggested AC Charger Power: 31.25 Watts (12.5 volts at 2.5 amps).
- Light Power: No party lamps on this model.
- Power Bank Output Power: 7.5 Watts Max (5 volts at 1.5 amps).
- Output Power Per Channel (internal battery): 1 watt RMS.
- Output Power for Woofer (internal battery): 6 watts RMS.
- Total Audio Output Power (internal battery): `8 watts RMS.
- Total Peak Audio Power (internal battery): 11.31 watts.
- Output Power Per Channel (external AC supply): 5 watts RMS.
- Output Power for Woofer (AC supply): 10 watts RMS.
- Total Audio Output Power (AC supply): `20 watts RMS.
- Total Peak Audio Power (external USB supply): 28.28.
Sony X5 Watts RMS: Other Notes
- The X5 wireless speaker may not input enough enough power from the power adapter to keep the battery from discharging when playing at full volume, depending on what you’re playing on it and the sort of charger you have. So it could be that even with the unit externally powered, you could still run the battery dead. Thus on the (rare) occasions that this occurs, just stop playing the 3 for an hour or so, to let it store up some reserve power as it recharges. Then, fire it up again for continued party enjoyment.
Related Posts to Sony X5 Watts RMS
Other Sony X5 Posts
- 2023-04-30: First published.