The Gearmo® 10 Port High Output USB Charger Station features highest current charging capability from all ten of its high current 2.4A USB ports at the same time. Thus, you can charge as many as ten of the most power hungry tablet computers, radios, Bluetooth speakers simultaneously. The current draw on one port does not decrease the current output on another.
This AC charger, made in China, is built from rugged black plastic, with a pilot lamp, power switch, and sports a well-insulated removable power cable with a non polarized plug, and resembles a large notebook power adapter, except that the output cable found in those, has been replaced with a sleek row of ten USB heavy duty A connectors.
It clears out as many as ten of the outlets on your power strips. How? The Gearmo® USB charger replaces up to ten of those old-fashioned wall wart chargers. It converts one 120-volt outlet into 5 volts USB power, eliminating the need for those single-device chargers. At roughly $50 per copy, this AC charger is an excellent value, for anyone wanting the convenience of running a single charger to power up to four smartphones, tablets, iPads, and Androids.
Benefits, Features, Pros, and Advantages
- Attractive, enduring plastic case, with rubber feet, to reduce skidding and sliding off of tables, shelves, and such.
- Versatile. Can be deployed in classrooms for charging student tablets, as well as at home, where bustling families must charge many mobile devices at the same time.
- Detachable 120-volt power cord. Preferred for a charging device to provide this, because the cord can be user-replaced if damaged.
- Polarized two-prong plug. The mains power plug can only be inserted into a 120-volt outlet one way. This enhances user protection against electrical shock, particularly when handling any connected USB cables with exposed connectors.
- Easily seen pilot lamp. The green LED power light when on, shows that the charger is operating.
- Silent operation. While plugged in, the ICS-10P-HO emits little audible noise, hash, squeals, hums, or sizzles. You may notice a low-level hum or clicks, but only when holding it very close to an ear.
- Well regulated output. We observed no degradation in charging performance, whether refueling just one USB device, two, three, or all ten.
- All high current ports. The ten USB sockets are electrically identical to one other. So you need not worry about matching up devices requiring the full 2.4 amps of high output charging, with the correct ports. All ports can deliver this level of current when needed.
- Lower current mobile devices supported as well. All ports can also charge normal current draw devices as well. They adjust their current output, on the fly, to match the device requirements that’s currently connected to the port.
- Compatible with most USB devices. Have tested this with the 1st generation iPod Touch, iPad Air, Kindle Fire HDX, and Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 tablets. All of these charged rapidly. No overheating of the brick itself was observed, although it does run lukewarm.
- Tight and true connections. The USB ports really grab inserted plugs. Plugs stay put.
- Smart charging support. The individual ports automatically adjust their power output to match whatever device is connected.
- Over current protection.
- All current USB power standards supported. Effectively charges USB 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 devices.
- Cool, fanless operation. The plastic case remains cool to warm to the touch, even when all ten ports have thirsty devices charging through them. Neither did we hear any fans come on inside. The unit remained just slightly warm with no fan assistance.
- Correctly sized wall plug. The 120-volt plug is normal sized. So, even when plugged into the most tightly spaced outlets in power strips, this plug occupies only one outlet slot. The real size of the charger has been removed from the plug area itself, separated by a flexible power cord. Nice
- Low RFI and EMI. We observed no objectionable electrical noise, EMI, or RFI generated by the ICS-10P-HO. Radios and televisions continued playing normally, even with this charger plugged into the same outlet.
- Excellent power regulation. Includes a well-regulated, switching power supply, that draws a maximum of 2.4 amps from the mains. Maximum output power is 120 watts (twelve watts per port).
- Efficient space utilization. Physically, this wall charger is about the same size and weight that we’d expect for similar devices providing this much charge current.
- Low profile yet effective design. With just one control on the side, the power on off switch, there’s little to add needless complexity to unit operation.
- Easy to use. You just connect the included power cord to the ICS-10P-HO, plug the other end into mains power, and then plug the USB cords for all your USB devices into this charger. This charger monitors the charge state of each connected device; constantly adjusting the current as the battery charges, and shuts off the charging when each battery is full.
- Not a wall wart. Does not hang from a wall outlet, unlike the traditional wall wart chargers, since the power cable, which is nearly five feet long, allows the charger station box itself to rest on the desk, floor, or other more appropriate utility space.
- No moving parts. This thing is all electronic; no motors, fans, buzzers, or anything mechanical except for the rocker power switch.
- Inexpensive for this many charge ports. At approximately $50, this Gearmo® USB charger offers among the cheapest costs per high quality port of any currently available UB charger.
- Easily found online. We bought ours at Amazon.com.
Disadvantages, Problems, Limitations, and Cons
- Non covered USB ports. The USB ports are not covered when not in use. So dust accumulation, causing erratic charging is a possibility. Thus, another reason for operating the PC01 in dust-free, dry environments.
- USB charge cables not included.
- Rubber feet come loose easily. Either the backing for the feet does not exist in this unit, or the rubber feet themselves are too soft. Whatever the case, we found that the feet can be pushed too far into their mating holes, as pictured above. So we recommend not sitting anything heavy on top of this charger when deployed, to avoid pushing the feet to the inside of the unit.
Warnings and Cautions
- To get the highest current (fastest) charging out of this unit, you’ll need USB cables capable of carrying 2.4 amps (high current cables). Exceptionally thin or long cables may not provide the most rapid charging.
- So, keep in mind that high current capability does not necessarily imply faster charging times.
- This is an indoor device. Keep it away from heat, rain, excessive humidity, and vibration in order to maximize its life. Avoid places operating this charger where liquids are spilled often. The enclosure may admit liquids into its interior, causing perhaps permanent malfunction, shock hazards, or even fire.
- Being that this charger incorporates a switching power supply design, it may interfere with nearby radios, TVs, and computing devices. If that occurs, relocate either the ICS-10P-HO itself, or the devices with which it is interfering.
- Note that this is a USB charger, NOT a USB hub, even though it highly resembles a hub. It does not move data; just supplies high grade USB power to attached devices.
- Model: ICS-10P-HO
- Input: AC 100-130 volts at 2.4 amps.
- Output 5 volts DC at 2.4 amps X 10, or 120 watts.
- Product measures 156 X 109 X 32mm.
- Product weight: 425g, or around 15 ounces.
- Protection function: OCP, OVP, SCP, and OTP.
- Standby power draw: Less than or equal to 0.3 watts.
This 10-port high current charging station is hefty, and offers an ample number of full-power USB ports for most families and situations. We appreciated its solid and heavy construction as well as the port versatility. You don’t have to worry about which port will give the best performance for a particular device, as they all perform identically well. We’d rate this in-home / office / school room charger at 98 out of 100. Hard to beat the ICS-10P-HO as among the best mobile device chargers on the market today.
- Battery Charger on Wikipedia
- Gearmo USB Hub Charger Customer Reviews on Amazon.com
- Where to buy the Gearmo® 10-Port High Output Smart AC Charger
- 2017-02-02: Updated tags list, and changed post title to: Gearmo® 10-Port USB Smart Charging Station Review.
- 2016-02-06: Originally published.