Here, we discuss a Honeywell thermostat not following schedule, and how to fix that. If the thermostat is otherwise working as it should, it could be that its Schedule Hold feature is activated. So switch this off, and chances are that normal schedule following returns.
But why would schedule following ever be OFF? Well, this schedule suspending option on many smart thermostats lets you temporarily or permanently override pre programmed temperature changes. That way, you can set the temperature once, and the thermostat remains set there until the following. Either you change it manually, or the next scheduled temperature setting update passes. When a t-stat follows its schedule, it changes its set temperature to what its program says at specified times of day, which are also part of this program. Thus, the schedule carries these change times as well as what temperature to set the t-stat to for each time.
But with the following schedule feature turned off, these programmed temperature changes do not happen. With scheduling turned off, the t-stat does not follow its schedule, by definition. It’s on hold. Note that there are two types of schedule suspension; temporary, and permanent. In temporary hold the current temperature value remains active until the next scheduled adjustment time comes around. Permanently OFF schedule following nn the other hand, functions almost like temporary program suspension. But it’s different in that in the permanent case, there is no scheduled temperature change time. All schedule following is deactivated forever, or until someone turns it on again.
How to Fix Honeywell Thermostat Not Following Schedule
We show here how to restore schedule following on our Honeywell RTH9580WF smart thermostat. In this scenario, we start with our thermostat set to Permanent Hold. This means, that it is not following its programmed schedule.
1. Go to the Honeywell Thermostat’s Home Page
Here’s a pic of our thermostat’s Home screen, as shown next.
The Hold button may say either Permanent Hold, or show that Temporary Hold is in effect by saying the time when the current Hold will stop. We include pictures from both scenarios in the following two screenshots.
2. Tap the Schedule Hold Button
Find the Schedule Hold button near screen bottom and middle. Now as stated earlier, this button may say either Temporary or Permanent hold, depending on which one your thermostat is in currently. But if there’s no button, and all you see the message Following Schedule in that spot, then your thermostat is not in Hold . So the thermostat not following its schedule, is likely not the problem you have.
Tapping the Schedule Hold button, no matter which mode it says, brings up the Schedule Hold Options page, as pictured next.
Pressing Cancel Schedule Hold whether Permanent or Temporary tells the thermostat to resume normal schedule following.
3. Tap the Cancel Schedule Hold Button to Continue with Honeywell Thermostat Not Following Schedule Fix
When you touch the Cancel Schedule Hold option, the t-stat then returns to Following Schedule mode, and again displays its Home page, as depicted next.
But now, notice that the Schedule Hold button no longer displays. In its place, we find a link that’s labeled, Following Schedule.
4. Finished with How to Fix Honeywell thermostat Not Following Schedule !
You’ve now learned how to fix the Honeywell thermostat not following schedule problem.
Keep warm in winter and cool in summer.
Other Posts About the Honeywell Thermostat
- How to Clear Schedule on Honeywell T-stat
- Change Wireless Network on Honeywell WiFi Thermostat RTH8580WF
- How to Clear Settings on Honeywell T-stat
- Honeywell Dial Thermostat Pictures
- How to Turn Off Hold on Honeywell Thermostat
- Resetting Honeywell Touchscreen Thermostat Instructions
- How to Reconnect Honeywell Thermostat to WiFi
- Honeywell Thermostat Says Wait, Fix, Repair, Solve
- How to Connect Honeywell Thermostat to Google Home
- Honeywell Thermostat Not Turning On Heat, How to Fix
- How to Change Honeywell Thermostat Temperature Setting
- Unregister Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF Instructions
- How to Find Honeywell Thermostat Firmware Version
- Honeywell Thermostat Wiring Color Code
- Reset Honeywell Thermostat RTH8580WF, How To
- How to Cancel Hold on Honeywell Thermostat
- Connect Honeywell Thermostat to Alexa, How To, 2019
- Set Honeywell Thermostat Temperature Limits on RTH9580WF
- Honeywell Thermostat Not Reaching Set Temperature Troubleshooting
- Set Temperature Range on Honeywell Thermostat
- Honeywell Thermostat WiFi Setup RTH8580WF
- How to Cancel Schedule on Honeywell Thermostat
- How to Set Permanent Hold on Honeywell Thermostat
References for How to Fix Honeywell Thermostat Not Following Schedule
- 2019-06-03: Tuned the targeting for ‘Honeywell Thermostat Not Following Schedule’ and added more links and tags.
- 2019-02-18: First time published.