There are a few ways for how to adjust volume on JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth speaker. These depend on the app(s) you’re playing from mostly. Many apps provide volume adjustment controls. But this JBL speaker itself has two buttons for volume control as well. Find these (the + and -) buttons on its top side. Note though, that you cannot set volume with the JBL Connect app.
How to Adjust Volume on JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Speaker
You can adjust the volume without using any apps, doing it this way, as follows.
1. Lay Out the Speaker such that you See the Button Controls
See the correct speaker position shown next. There are six buttons in this row. These include the Bluetooth ON / OFF, Volume DOWN (-), Power, JBL Connect Plus, Volume UP (+), and the Play / Pause button at the right center of the speaker.
2. Set Volume by Pressing the – and + Buttons
The last pic shows the locations of the volume buttons on the JBL Charge 3 waterproof speaker.
Press the (-) button at the left center of the speaker to reduce the volume. Tap the (+) button at the right center of the speaker to increase the volume.
How to Adjust Volume on JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Speaker with Siri Voice Commands on iOS
The JBL Charge 3 speaker allows you to activate Siri by pressing the Play / Pause button near the top of the speaker, when paired with an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch).
This feature will not work though, until you change the function of the speaker’s Play / Pause button in the JBL Connect app. We’ll cover how to do that in another post, upcoming. Press that button, and you get the screen on your iOS device shown in the last picture. For this demo, we assume that you’ve set your Play / Pause button on this speaker to activate your voice assistant.
Command Siri to Adjust Volume
Next is an example of giving Siri a voice command to set the volume to half (50 percent).
Press that button to get Siri’s attention. Hold it in until she responds. Then ask her to raise and lower the volume as follows.
Next is an example of Siri responding to a voice command to set the volume to FULL (100 percent).
Siri Volume Setting Commands Summary
Siri currently understands one scale for volume adjustment: 0-100 percent. Example commands follow. Say these after you’ve pressed the Play / Pause to wake her up.
- Set volume 0 [muted].
- Volume 0.
- Set volume 10 [Ten percent].
- Set volume 10 percent.
- Volume 10.
- Set volume 76 percent.
- Volume 76.
- Set volume 100 [One hundred percent, full volume].
There are also shortcut commands for minimum and maximum volume setting, as in:
- Mute. [Sets the volume to zero percent, minimum, muted state.]
- Half volume. [Adjusts volume to fifty percent, or half of full.]
- Set volume full. [Sets speaker volume to maximum, 100 percent.]
- Set volume max. [Sets speaker volume to maximum, 100 percent.]
- Volume half. [Adjusts volume to fifty percent, or half of full.]
- Volume minimum. [Sets the volume to zero percent, minimum, muted state.]
How to Adjust Volume on JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Speaker on Bluetooth Source Device
You can adjust volume with the controls on the paired device. Further, you can do the same with paired Android devices as well. However, we found that volume adjustments on the speaker do not change the volume setting on our Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Phone Pro. For this phone, the volume buttons on the speaker seemed to adjust the volume of the amplifiers on the speaker itself, and not the phone volume. We discovered distortion in the speaker, with its volume set to half while the phone volume was at full (100 percent). So, just be aware of this so you can avoid “over driving” the JBL Charge 3 with your Android device.
In this demo though, we’re playing YouTube content on our iPad Air, and streaming to the JBL Charge 3 via the streaming Bluetooth connection.
1. Pair your JBL Charge 3
We’ll add posts presently that show how to pair the JBL Charge 3 with a source Bluetooth device.
2. Begin Playing a Music Source
Start streaming an internet radio station, a song from YouTube or Spotify, or an Audible book. In this demo, we streamed YouTube audio to our Charge 3 JBL Bluetooth speaker, as shown next.
3. Use your Source Mobile Device’s Volume Control Buttons to Adjust the Volume of the JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Speaker
See this done in the next picture.
Note the purple arrowed volume setter square with a speaker inside of it in the last picture.
Also note that the volume change you hear on the JBL Charge 3 lags by a half second or so. Why? Because of the latency (delay) of the commands going across the Bluetooth airwaves to the speaker.
Again, we’re not covering here how to set volume for individual apps. So, we leave to the reader figuring out how to do this.
Related Posts to How to Adjust Volume on JBL Charge 3
- How to Adjust Volume on Google Home Mini
- Adjust Volume on UE Wonderboom Speaker Instructions
- Adjusting Volume on Amazon Echo 1st Gen, How To
- How to Adjust Volume on JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speaker
- Adjusting Volume on Microsoft Invoke Speaker, How To
Other Posts About the JBL Charge 3 Power Bank BT Speaker
- JBL Charge 3 Charger Adapter Specs
- Finding JBL Charge 3 Firmware Version
- JBL Charge 3 Picture Gallery for this Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Recharge Charge 3 Speaker
- JBL Charge 3 Charging Instructions, How to Recharge
- 2020-04-21: Added more tags.
- 2019-04-11: Tweaked key phrase targeting and removed ad code.
- 2018-07-12: First published.