This piece covers how to charge a typical Sony speaker. Do this easily through the USB or barrel power in port. Any Sony speaker has one somewhere. The water resistant models have it behind a flexible sealing door, shown in the pictures below. Note that you can still play your speaker as it charges, without lengthening the recharge time very much.
First, many models of Sony speaker come with a suitable charger. So use the one that accompanies the speaker if you can, for best results. But if you lose yours, then pick a strong enough adapter. In this example, we demonstrate on the Sony SRS XB43 speaker, and this particular model requires 15 watts (5 volts at 3 amps max).
Then, once you’ve chosen the right charger, plug that into a working AC outlet. Finally, plug the DC end into the speaker.
Then, after four to six hours, your speaker finishes charging. So it’s ready to play once more. The play time varies among the different speaker models. But it ranges from 10 to 24 hours roughly.
How to Charge a Sony Speaker
1. Choose Right Sized AC or Car Adapter
The Key Power model HDD15-3-PD USB power delivery system along with a thicker USB cable works well on most Sony speakers that do not include an AC adapter.
2. Open the Port Cover on the Sony Speaker
Use a fingernail, dime, penny, or small screwdriver to work open the waterproof seal port cover on your speaker if it has this. See the closed power port door in the next picture. Be careful not to scratch the fragile seal around the inside edge of this door.
Prying open this door exposes the charging port inside, as shown next, pointed at by the red arrow.
3. Power OFF the Unit to Continue with How to Charge a Typical Sony Speaker
Note that most Sony speakers still charge while running. But depending on how much above-and-beyond recharging juice your AC supply provides, the speaker might charge a bit faster when switched OFF.
4. Plug the DC Power Cord into the Speaker
Then, plug the matching end of the charge cable into the Power Input port, as seen in the next shot.
Warning: Only use the correct port for charging the speaker. On Sony speakers that have this, do not use the output port. This is for the power bank function only, for powering other devices. In this example, feeding external power into THIS port will not only fail to recharge the battery, but could also damage the electronics inside.
5. Plug the Other End of the Cable into your Charger Adapter
If the supply you’re using has a unpluggable cable, then be sure to connect the matching end to the AC or car adapter you have. Note though that the included adapter with the XB 43 here has a permanently attached cord. So skip this step if that’s the sort of cord you’re using.
6. Plug the Power Adapter into a Working Wall Receptacle to Continue with How to Charge the Sony Speaker
Now that we connected the test speaker and our adapter, we then plug the mains end of the supply into a working AC outlet, as shown next. We plugged ours into a surge protecting power strip.
The status lamp lights up solid orange. And while no battery status gauge shows percentage of charge, the glowing lamp means that charging is underway, as shown next.
7. Let your Sony Speaker Charge Until the CHARGE Light Goes Out
Full battery charging is finished when the CHARGE lamp shuts off, as shown next.
8. Unplug the Charge Cable from the Unit, to Continue with How to Charge Sony Speaker
9. Fully Close the Port Door / Cap
Note that unless you seat this cap securely on so equipped Sony speakers, water may soak the power input port. And, since water and electronics generally do not mix, this might damage the sensitive contacts inside it. So be sure to press this door closed with enough force to fully seat it, for max moisture protection.
10. Done with How to Charge a Sony Speaker
We have now fully charged our speaker.
Finally, repeat this recharging whenever the speaker runs dead, to keep the battery in top condition for years to come. But do not let the battery sit, in a discharged state for long, as this could shorten its life.
Other Posts About the Common Sony Speaker
- How to Turn Off Sony Speaker SRS-XB12
- Sony Speaker Hard Reset Instructions
- Sony Speaker Pairing Instructions
- How to Turn On Lights on a Sony Speaker
- How to Turn Off Lights on a Sony Speaker
Related Posts to How to Charge a Sony Speaker
- How to Charge Sony SRS XB13 Mini Extra Bass Speaker
- How to Charge JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Speaker
- Charging the Logitech Wonderboom Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Charge Sony SRS XB10 Bluetooth Speaker
- Charging the Sony SRS XB12 Mini Speaker
- 2022-07-13: First published.