Here, we show how to factory reset the Echo Dot 3rd Generation speaker, to set it back to default factory settings. So why would you ever factory reset ? Well, you may wish to sell or give this speaker to another person. Or sync it to a new Amazon account. Or to join it to a new WiFi network. In all these situations, factory resetting is the best way to clean out all old account data from this speaker. A reset to factory settings gets the speaker ready to use on a new account and / or WiFi network. So to reset the speaker, and unpair it from its current Alexa account, run through the routine below.
Do not always factory reset as a first step for fixing strange Echo Dot 3rd Generation speaker behavior. Before resetting, try powering off the unit by unplugging its power cable either from the wall outlet, or from the speaker itself. Then, wait a quarter to half minute. Then plug it back in. Rebooting often restores proper working. But if not, read on for the proper factory reset procedure.
Once you factory reset the speaker, you’ll no longer be able to control the speaker from your Amazon account. To get control of it back, run through the Setup procedure again. There, relink the speaker to that account again via the Alexa app.
How to Factory Reset Echo Dot 3rd Generation Speaker
1. Attach Wall Power Cable
First, connect the speaker to its 12-volt power adapter cord, as shown next.
2. Next, Plug the AC Cord into a Working Wall Outlet
See this as shown next.
Then, wait for the unit to finish booting. It’s done booting when either the light ring goes dark, or it begins flashing orange, red, or purple.
3. Next, Press and Hold the Action Button for 5 to 10 Seconds to Continue with How to Factory Reset an Echo Dot 3rd Generation Speaker
Press the Action button until the light ring turns yellow-orange. You should also hear the speaker say that it is entering Setup mode. On this speaker, the Action button doubles as the Reset button, and is pointed at by the green arrow in the next picture.
4. Finally, What Happens After Factory Reset?
Your speaker is now restored to its factory default settings. It also is now in Setup mode, as shown next.
5. Done with How to Factory Reset the Echo Dot 3rd Generation Speaker !
Pack it for Sale or Set it Up Again
You may give your speaker to another now. Don’t fear that they’ll have access to the Alexa settings on your Amazon account though. They won’t.
Or, you can set it up again on your existing account. But if selling, we recommend that you pack the speaker in its original carton. Do this for safest mailing, as shown in the next picture. Then, pack that box into another outer box for further safety.
Other Posts About the Echo Dot 3rd Generation Speaker
- How to Connect Echo Dot 3rd Generation to WiFi
- How to Set Up Echo Dot 3rd Generation
- Echo Dot 3rd Generation Charger Specs
- How to Restart Echo Dot 3rd Generation
- Buttons on Echo Dot 3rd Generation Top
- How to Reboot Echo Dot 3rd Generation Speaker
- How to Setup WiFi on Echo Dot 3rd Generation
Related Posts to How to Factory Reset Echo Dot 3rd Generation
- How to Factory Reset JBL Xtreme Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Factory Reset JBL Charge 4 Speaker
- Amazon Smart Plug How to Factory Reset
- How to Factory Reset Netgear WiFi Extender
- How to Factory Reset Alexa Instructions, Dot, Spot, Echo
References for How to Factory Reset Echo Dot 3rd Generation
- All-new Echo Dot (3rd Gen) – Smart speaker with Alexa, on Amazon.com
- What is Amazon Echo? on Wikipedia
- 2020-12-11: First published.