This post shows how to pair a JBL Charge 3 speaker with an iPhone like device, such as an iPad Air tablet. How to pair works the same on the iPhone as well as the tablet.
How to Pair JBL Charge 3 to iPhone, Step by Step
With your JBL Charge 3 powered off (power button is dark), run through this routine to pair it to your iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch iOS mobile device. We’re using an iPad Air tablet in this demo.
1. Find your Way to the Home Screen on your iPhone
Press the Home button to uncover the mobile iPhone’s Home screen.
2. Find the Settings App
We found ours on the second page of the iOS home screen, as shown next.
3. Bring up the Settings App
Tap the Settings app icon.
The iPhone then displays the first page of its settings, as shown in the next step.
4. Go to Bluetooth Settings to Continue with How to Pair JBL Charge 3 to iPhone
Our Bluetooth settings screen displays as follows. Note that our Bluetooth is enabled here. But since JBL Charge 3 speaker is currently turned OFF, it does not show up in the Bluetooth devices list. Also, you wouldn’t see it if you’ve never paired the speaker with your iPhone before. See this as shown in this list of previously paired Bluetooth devices, shown next.
5. Turn On your JBL Charge 3 Speaker
Turn on the BT speaker by quickly pressing its Power button. See this pointed at by the green arrow in the next picture.
The speaker then powers up.
But since your iPhone does not know about this speaker, the Charge 3 JBL will not pair with it automatically. The light that comes on in the Power switch denotes this not-paired state by glowing solid white, as shown next.
6. Put your Speaker into Discovery Mode
Now, to see your speaker on your iPhone, place it into Bluetooth discovery mode by pressing and releasing the Bluetooth button, as shown in the next picture.
When you press the Bluetooth discovery mode button, the speaker makes a repeating single pluck guitar note sound several times. Also, the Power button changes from a solid white glow to flashing blue. See this next.
7. Find your JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Device to Continue with How to Pair JBL Charge 3 to an iPhone
See the screen shot next. We found ours, as pointed at by the blue arrow, as shown next.
8. Pair your iPhone with your JBL Charge 3 Speaker
Tap the listed speaker in the Other Devices section of the Bluetooth devices list, shown above.
Your iPhone then pairs with the Charge 3 (“JBL Charge 3” in this demo).
The iPhone’s Bluetooth Settings screen then changes to look something like the following.
Note that the JBL Charge 3 now shows as connected on your iPhone, as pointed at by the Blue arrows in the last picture.
9. Done with How to Pair JBL Charge 3 with an iPhone !
We have now successfully paired our JBL Charge 3 portable speaker with an iPhone like tablet. This procedure also works when pairing with other Apple devices, although the screen faces may differ slightly.
- How to Pair JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth Speaker with iOS Devices, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
- How to Pair JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Speaker with iOS Devices
Other Posts About the JBL Charge 3 Power Bank BT Speaker
- Pairing JBL Charge 3 with Google Home Instructions
- JBL Charge 3 Change Name, How to Rename It
- JBL Charge 3 Charger Adapter Specs
- Finding JBL Charge 3 Firmware Version
- JBL Charge 3 Google Home Pairing Instructions
References for How to Pair JBL Charge 3 to iPhone
- Harman Audio JBL Charge 3 Waterproof Speaker on harmanaudio.com
- Apple iPhone Official Product Page at apple.com
- 2020-11-17: First published.