This post demonstrates how to pair UE Wonderboom with Alexa speakers. These directions include all Bluetooth (BT) compatible Echo and Echo Dot smart speakers. And, since this pairing occurs right between the UE Wonderboom and smart speakers, you need not turn BT on in the mobile device you’re using to create this pairing.
How to Pair UE Wonderboom with Alexa
With your UE Wonderboom speaker powered off (power button is dark), run through this routine to pair it to your Alexa. We’re using an iPad Air tablet to set up this BT connection.
1. Find the Alexa app on your Mobile Device
We found the Alexa app on this iPad Air as seen in the next picture. In our scenario, the app is on the third home screen page, pointed at by the blue arrow.
2. Run the Amazon Alexa App
The app then displays its Home screen as shown in the next screenshot.
3. Tap the Hamburger Control to Continue with How to Pair UE Wonderboom with Alexa
Find the hamburger item in the top left corner of the screen, pointed at by the blue arrow in the last screenshot.
This brings up the Alexa app’s main menu, as shown in the next screenshot.
4. Tap the Settings Option on the App’s Main Menu
We point at the Settings item with the green arrow in the last screenshot.
This brings up the Settings screen, as shown in the next shot.
5, Tap the Device Settings Option
This brings up the All Devices screen, where all of your connected Amazon Alexa enabled devices appear in a list, as shown next.
6. Tap the Echo Device you Wish to Pair to your UE Wonderboom Speaker
For this demo, we chose the Thomas’s Echo Dot 3rd Gen Alexa speaker, although pairing works similarly with all the other Bluetooth enabled Alexa speaker models.
Anyway, touching the speaker listed that you wish to pair then takes you to the device-specific settings screen for that particular Echo, as seen in the next screenshot.
7. Tap the Bluetooth Devices Item
Find the Bluetooth Devices option pointed at by the green arrow in the last screenshot.
This brings up the Bluetooth Devices screen, as shown next.
At this point, your Alexa app is ready to begin a BT scan by your chosen Echo Amazon speaker. We selected our Alexa Dot 3 in the last step. So, that Dot will be the one that looks for BT devices when we press the Pair a New Device button.
BUT WAIT A MINUTE! Don’t press that button just yet. We must turn on the Wonderboom UE speaker first, and then make sure the UE Wonderboom is in Bluetooth pairing mode. But if your UE is already powered ON and ready to pair, then skip the next step, and move on to step 9 below.
8. Turn On your UE Wonderboom Speaker
Put down your mobile device for a second, and turn on this BT speaker by quickly pressing its Power button. See this button circled in the next picture.
The UE Wonderboom then powers up.
But since our Alexa speaker has never paired with this UE Wonderboom prior, it has no connection information for it in its previously paired Bluetooth devices list. Thus the UE speaker will not yet pair with this Dot automatically.
9. Put your BT Speaker into Pairing Mode to Continue with How to Pair UE Wonderboom with Alexa
Now, to allow an Alexa smart speaker to find the Wonderboom UE, place your UE into Bluetooth pairing mode. Specifically, press and hold in the the Bluetooth button on the speaker for around two seconds. Find this button shown circled in green, next picture.
When you depress the Bluetooth Discovery Mode button, after two seconds, the UE Wonderboom makes a rising sound twice. Release the button at this time. Also, the Bluetooth button starts quickly flashing white. See this in the last picture above, which depicts the Bluetooth button flashing white, indicating that discovery mode is in effect.
10. Now Go Back to your Mobile Device and the Alexa App
The screen with the blue Pair a New Device button should still be there, as in the next screenshot.
11. Touch the Pair a New Device Button
This starts your Alexa speaker scanning for nearby Bluetooth devices that are in BT discovery mode themselves. Since your UE Wonderboom is now in Bluetooth discovery mode, the Alexa Dot should find it if in range. Our UE Wonderboom was indeed close enough for our Dot to pick up.
Thus, after a short time, you should get something like the screen we got. Shown next.
In our demo, the Alexa app, through our 3rd generation Dot, found our UE speaker, named WONDERBOOM.
12. Find your UE Wonderboom in the Discovered Devices List
See the screenshot above. Our scan discovered two Bluetooth devices. It found the Wonderboom UE speaker as well as our Roku media player.
So, we easily found our UE Wonderboom in this list, as pointed out by the blue arrow in the last picture.
13. Finally, Pair your Alexa with your UE Wonderboom
Pair with the UE Wonderboom by touching that speaker entry on the Bluetooth Setup screen, shown in the last screenshot earlier.
The Alexa speaker then pairs with the Wonderboom UE speaker.
Shortly afterwards, the Alexa App’s Bluetooth Settings screen then appears something like the following.
Also, the UE Wonderboom plays the Speaker Paired ker-plunk sound. Note that the Bluetooth symbol to the left of the listed speaker item appears in the last screenshot, as pointed at by the blue arrow. This shows you which memorized speaker in the Previously Paired Bluetooth Devices list is currently paired to your Alexa speaker.
The UE Wonderboom Bluetooth button now glows solid white, meaning that successful pairing has happened, as shown next.
After several seconds, this BT light goes OFF.
14. Done with How to Pair UE Wonderboom with Alexa !
We have now successfully paired our UE Wonderboom with our Alexa Dot 3 speaker. Thus, we may now ask Alexa to play music on this Dot, and she’ll stream it to the UE Wonderboom. Thus, that music will play on the very “big sounding” UE Wonderboom portable speaker instead of the Alexa. We might want to do this because the UE Wonderboom offers a louder, fuller sound than your smaller Alexa speakers. Plus, it’s in stereo too! So pairing these devices has definite sound advantages.
Other Posts About UE Wonderboom
- How to Connect UE Wonderboom with iPhone
- How to Tell if UE Wonderboom is Charging
- UE Wonderboom Buttons Guide, How to Use
- How to Pair UE Wonderboom with Google Home
- UE Wonderboom Reset Instructions
Related Posts to How to Pair UE Wonderboom with Alexa
- Pairing Wonderboom UE with iPad Air Instructions
- How to Adjust Volume on UE Wonderboom Speaker Instructions
- JBL Flip 4 Alexa Pairing Bluetooth Speaker Instructions
- How to Tell if UE Wonderboom is Charging
- Pairing JBL Xtreme with iPhone iPod iPad iOS Tablets Phones
References for How to Pair UE Wonderboom with Alexa
- UE Wonderboom BT Speaker Product Page at UltimateEars.com
- Echo Dot (3rd Gen) – New and improved smart speaker with Alexa Product Page on Amazon.com
- 2020-07-14: Optimized the text.
- 2020-04-13: Added more tags.
- 2019-05-16: Tweaked the targeting for ‘How to Pair UE Wonderboom with Alexa’ and added tags.
- 2019-02-13: First posted.