The SRS XG300 Sony Bluetooth speaker is a medium power, portable boombox system with enough output watts in the specs to fill a run-of-the-mill living room or yard with big sounding tunes.
But what does the number of watts a wireless speaker has, tell us about how good it is? Firstly, the watt is a measure of how much power the speaker consumes or outputs. Plus, this metric is a convenient comparison measure. E.g. Generally speaking, speakers with more watts of audio output play louder than those with less. And while they do cost more, have bigger, heavier batteries and chargers, along with larger drivers and magnets, they nonetheless offer greater dynamic range, have a deeper bass response, and the models that do stereo offer typically a bigger soundstage and better imaging to listeners.
Thus in general, the more powerful the speaker, the better it sounds, even at lower volume. You get improved crispness due to higher accuracy reproduction of the bass, midrange, and treble musical content. More reserve power often means less clipping artifacts too. So, the speaker’s max watts output is a primary indicator of speaker quality and performance. And as such, this value is of great interest to audiophiles and novice listeners alike.
In this case, the Sony XG300, as a common sized portable BT speaker, is a decently loud model for all the bigger it is. Its watts can fill a room with clean sounding music. See below for details on its power output.
Sony XG300 Specs Watts
- Battery Capacity: 37.44 watt-hours (7.4 volts, 5.2 amp-hours).
- AC Charger Power: 15 watts (5 volts at 3.0 amps).
- Bluetooth Standby Mode Power: Less than 0.3 watts.
- Total Audio Output Power on AC (RMS): 16 watts.
- Total Peak Audio Power (both channels): 22.62 watts.
- Output Power per Channel: 8 watts RMS.
- Audio Output Power on Battery: Decreases as battery approaches depletion.
Notes on Sony XG300 Specs Watts
- The system tries to conserve battery power as the battery get close to total depletion. The XG 300 does this by reducing the audio output power somewhat.
- This speaker may not get enough enough power from the AC power adapter to keep the battery from discharging when playing at full volume, depending on what you’re listening to. So it’s possible that even with the unit plugged in, you could still see it shut OFF unexpectedly. Thus on the (rare) occasions that this occurs, just stop playing the 300 for an hour or two, to let it build up some reserve power while charging. Then, start it up again for continued party fun.
Other Sony XG300 Posts
Related Posts to Sony XG300 Specs Watts
- 2023-03-29: First published.