These Amazon Alexa speakers typically update quickly by themselves as new firmware comes out, within a couple hours, or at worst, a couple days. But you may want to update your device right away, like when you know that a pending update that you need is live. So here, we offer our Amazon Echo force firmware update instructions. These show how to update your device anytime you wish. Note that these tips work on the Echo and Echo Dot speakers we’ve tested. Also note that currently they do not apply to the Echo Spot. Thus for that video speaker, you must update its firmware through its screen based menus.
Amazon Echo Force Firmware Update Instructions
Force Update of Firmware Quickly
Firstly, if your speaker supports it, you can issue the following voice command, after saying the wake word of course. “Check for software updates.”
Alexa then responds with, “One moment while I check…” Then, if the device is already running the current firmware version, she says, “This device is up to date.” But if the speaker firmware is older than the current version on the Amazon servers, then Alexa warns that she’s about to update the speaker. She says that the software update may take up to thirty minutes to complete, and that she won’t be available to answer questions or run commands until finished applying the update.
After the update firmware operation completes, Alexa says that she’s back and ready for use again.
Automatic but Slower Echo Firmware Updating Instructions
These speakers, including all the Dots and audio only speakers, update themselves under the following conditions: 1) A firmware revision is available, and 2) when they’ve processed no requests and performed no activities, for at least thirty minutes.
You can take advantage of these conditions, and force a sort of scheduling of an update as follows.
1. Power Up your Speaker(s)
Make sure they’ve successfully connected to the internet.
2. Tap the Mic Off Button on your Echo Speaker
This mutes the speaker’s microphones, which assures that the Echo will neither hear nor respond to any requests. The light ring turns red on your device, meaning that the mic is OFF.
3. Wait at Least Thirty Minutes
The Amazon firmware update may take place after thirty minutes of your speaker being muted. But it can take as long as a day or more. So you need patience. But if you grow impatient and unmute your speaker before it has updated, the update request is then cancelled. To check and update our Alexas, we mute them just before going to bed. Then often, by the next morning, all of them have updated.
4. Check that Amazon Echo Force Firmware Update has Occurred
After a software update, the Amazon Alexa smart speakers reboot. Indeed, you’ll see the light ring running through its pretty colored patterns during reboot, as we see next. Then, the smart speaker may emit several crackles and pops during the firmware update process.
Once software installation is done, the speaker resumes its normal standby mode, awaiting voice commands.
5. You’re done!
Other Posts About the Amazon Echo Speaker
- How to Connect Amazon Echo to WiFi
- Spotify Setup on Amazon Echo Alexa
- Update Amazon Echo Firmware Instructions
- Echo Spotify Commands List for Amazon Echo Speakers
- Factory Reset Amazon Echo Instructions, How to Hard Reset
Related Posts to Amazon Echo Force Firmware Update
- Unboxing and Connecting The Amazon Echo Generation 2 Smart Speaker
- Updating Firmware on JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speaker, How To, Through JBL Connect Plus App
- How to Find Honeywell WiFi Thermostat Firmware Version Instructions
- JBL Flip 3 Firmware Update Instructions
- Where is the Reset Button on Amazon Generation 2 Echo Smart Speaker Located
References for Amazon Echo Force Firmware Update
- Check & Update Your Alexa Device Software, from Amazon Help
- Alexa Device Software Updates, from Amazon Help
- 2019-04-20: Added tags and optimized the targeting.
- 2018-12-11: First published.