This post covers How to reset Honeywell thermostat RTH9580WF. This method does the following. First of all, it clears out all custom settings. Then, it resets the WiFi network. Last, it restores RTH9580WF back to factory default state. So, follow the steps below, to hard reset this remote controlled thermostat.
We suggest this routine when fixing problems with the RTH9580WF. Resetting can rule out the chance that faulty settings are causing the RTH9580WF to act funny.
Keep in mind though, that after doing this, the RTH9580WF forgets any programmed settings. So you’ll have to re enter your WiFi network name and password again. Also, your custom programs, if any, will go away. This returns the RTH9580WF to the built-in heating and cooling schedules. So again, you may need to adjust them again for to your specific needs.
Prior to Resetting to Factory Default Settings
Grab your Manual
Before restoring to factory default settings, gather your RTH9580WF manual that shipped with it. Or, find it online at Honeywell’s web site.
Jot Down the Current Thermostat Program Schedule
Write down the current daily program schedule currently stored in the RTH9580WF. Do this if you’ve changed it from the default schedule.
Write Down any other Settings you’ve Changed from Default
Then, run down through the menus in the thermostat. Jot any settings that you changed prior that let the RTH9580WF work with your furnace. These include filter-change reminders, WiFi network connection info, system type, thermostat name, location, et al.
How to Reset Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF
1. First, Tap the Menu button on the Touchscreen
Find this button in the picture above, at the top right corner of the screen.
Then, scroll down by pressing the down arrow key, until you see the Preferences button, as shown next.
2. Then, Tap the Preferences Button
When the Preferences screen appears, scroll with the down-arrow key. Look for the “Restore Factory Defaults” button. We circled this in red in the next picture.
3. Then, Tap the “Restore Factory Defaults” Button
The thermostat then prompts you to confirm that you surely want to restore the RTH9580WF, as shown next.
4. Then Confirm that you Want to Reset, to Continue with How to Reset Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF
WARNING: Tapping the green Yes button next, erases all user specific settings. So do not reset until you feel that you can set it up again after. Get help from a climate control technician if you’re not sure.
If you wish to proceed, then tap the green Yes button. Otherwise, tap the red No button.
When you press Yes, the display then shows the Restoring Factory Default Settings screen for a bit, as shown next.
Then, after boot-up, the RTH9580WF prepares to receive new customer data from you. While it does this, it shows the Please Wait screen as follows.
5. Enter New Startup Data at the Prompts
Then, the RTH9580WF prompts you to enter some initial settings. Finally, this allows the RTH9580WF to start up with working default values, as shown next.
After reset, follow the prompts. They ask for info about your WiFi network and HVAC system.
6. Thermostat Reset Done!
At last, you have now restored your RTH9580WF to factory default settings.
Other Posts About the Honeywell RTH9580WF Thermostat
- Honeywell RTH9580WF WiFi Setup Instructions
- Change WiFi Network on Honeywell Smart Thermostat RTH9580WF
- Change Time and Day on Honeywell RTH9580WF Thermostat, How To
- Connecting Amazon Echo Dot to Honeywell Thermostats
- Fixing WiFi Problems on Honeywell RTH9580WF Smart Thermostat
Related Posts to How to Reset Honeywell RTH9580WF Thermostat
- How to Reset JBL Xtreme Power Bank Speaker
- How to Reset Google Home Mini Speaker
- Reset Amazon Alexa Echo Gen 2 to Factory Settings, How To
- How to Reset Alexa Echo Gen 2 Dot to Factory Settings
- How to Reset Invoke Cortana Speaker, Hard Factory Reset
References forHow to Reset Honeywell RTH9580WF Thermostat
- Additional Info on Wifi Thermostats from Honeywell
- Honeywell Total Connect Comfort Solutions web site
- What is a Programmable Thermostat? on Wikipedia
- 2020-04-18: Added tags.
- 2019-03-11: Improved key phrase targeting and added more tags.
- 2018-04-11: Revised post URL and content for better keyword targeting.
- 2017-01-15: Simplified article title to: How to Reset Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF to Factory Default
- 2016-12-14: Added more links to the Suggested Reading section.
- 2016-02-13: Originally published.