We’ve taken many pictures of the Amazon Echo gen 1 smart speaker, and its power plug, for the various posts we’re writing about this smart speaker. We’ve placed all those photos here in this post, for quick and easy viewing.
The Amazon Echo Gen 1 Speaker, Playing a Song
First, this speaker is a tall tube. We have the white version. But it also comes in black. It has holes all the way around along the bottom third of this tube, to let the sound out. Indeed, this gives the impression that the speaker gives truly 360 degree sound. That’s where the sound comes out equally in all directions. We’ve found that while this is true for the midrange and treble sounds, much of the bass only comes from the rear of the speaker.
Adjusting the Volume
Second, there’s a ring on the top that you can spin left and right, to adjust output volume. The ring spins all the way around, without a stop at the lower and upper ends of the volume range. So, there’s nothing to break like there was in older volume controls. In those, if you turned the knob too hard past the stop, you could break the volume control.
Not that case here though. Even when you hit the low and high volume levels, the control can still turn further.
Then, this next picture shows a purple arrow, pointing at the volume ring. The volume ring is plenty wide enough for sure fingertip grasping. Plus, its satin-like finish means that your fingers will slip not at all when turning it.
Preparing for a Hard Reset on the Amazon Echo Gen 1
Third, to effect a hard reset on this speaker, you first must find the reset button. It’s located on the under side, inside a small hole, labeled RESET.
The Microphone is Muted
Next, you know when the mic is muted or OFF, when the light ring on the speaker glows red, as shown in the next picture.
The Amazon Echo Gen 1 Power Adapter
Further, this is how the speaker looks, sitting on a bathroom sink vanity, plugged in, powered up. Unless you’re talking through its phone link or Alexa is listening once you summon her, there’s no light to show that power is ON.
Indeed, the Echo 1 has modest power specs when you take into account what it does, as shown by the prongs plate on its power adapter.
Next, the DC output plug is your typical power jack.
Furthermore, the jack seems quite small, given the load this speaker draws. However, we’ve seen no warming of this plug with the speaker powered up. Curious how the center conductor here, that seems so small, can carry the current needed for this speaker. Yet it does.
Finally, the power plug part is lightweight given its size. This switching power supply is much lighter than those transformer based plugs of decades past.
Related Posts to Amazon Echo Gen 1
- AC Power Adapter Specs for the First Amazon Echo Gen 1 Alexa Smart Speaker
- Amazon Echo Best Features List
- How to Adjust Volume on Amazon Echo 1st Gen Smart Speaker
- Spotify Alexa Commands for Working Spotify from Echo, Tap, and Dot Speakers
- How to Force a Firmware Update on the Amazon Echo Alexa Smart Speakers
- Restart Amazon Echo Instructions, How to Restart Amazon Echo Speaker
- How to Reset Amazon Echo 1st Gen Speaker Back to Factory Default State
- Where is the Reset Button on the First Amazon Echo Smart Speaker
- How to Set the Sleep Timer on First Amazon Alexa Echo Smart Speaker
References for Amazon Echo Gen 1
- 2019-04-17: Removed ad code, added tags, and tweaked the targeting.
- 2017-12-12: Originally published.