This post shows how to connect the JBL Clip 4 mini Bluetooth speaker to Alexa smart speakers. Since this pairing happens between the JBL and Alexa devices directly, you need not turn Bluetooth on in the mobile device you’re using to set up this connection.
How to Connect JBL Clip 4 to Alexa, Step by Step
With your Clip 4 powered OFF (status lamp is dark), run through this routine to connect it to your Alexa Echo, Show, Studio, Input, Flex and Dot models. We use an iPad Air tablet to set this up.
1. Find the Alexa App on your Mobile Device
We found the app on the iPad Air as we show in the next pic. In this scenario, the app is in a folder we set up called Smart Speakers, and pointed at by the arrow.
2. Run the Alexa App
The app displays its Home screen as we see next.
3. Tap the More Item to Continue with How to Connect JBL Clip 4 to Alexa
Find the hamburger item in the lower right corner of the screen. We point at this with the green arrow in the last screenshot.
This brings up the Alexa app’s main menu.
4. Tap the Settings Option on the Main Menu
The Settings option we point at with the green arrow in the last photo.
This brings up the Settings screen.
5. Tap the Device Settings Option
Touching Device Settings brings up the All Devices page.
From here, choose which Echo device you wish to pair with your BT speaker.
6. Tap the Alexa Device you Wish to Connect
This takes you to the device-specific settings screen for the speaker you chose.
In this demo, we’re pairing from our Thomas’s 2nd Echo Dot 4 speaker to our JBL Clip 4 , and so, its device specific settings screen looks as follows.
7. Tap the Connect a Device Item
Find the Connect a Device option pointed at by the green arrow in the last screenshot.
This brings up the Setup screen.
At this point, your Alexa device scans for nearby Bluetooth devices that are in discovery mode. Here, we chose an Echo Dot 4 earlier. So, that speaker will be the one that scans for BT devices.
Note that our Dot speaker found no devices so far. But it will in the next steps, when we turn on the Clip 4 and put it in pairing mode.
8. Power Up the JBL Clip 4
Bring your BT speaker close to your Alexa device to pair, and power up that speaker by pressing and releasing the Power button as we show next.
9. Place the Clip 4 into Pairing / Discovery Mode
Put your speaker into pairing mode by pressing and releasing the Pairing button.
10. Find the JBL Clip 4 on the Alexa App SETUP Page
When you put the speaker into discovery mode, it should then appear in the Alexa app, on the Pair Bluetooth Device… page, as we see next.
Note that if your speaker does not show up on this page at this point, then try moving it very close to the Alexa speaker, closing and restarting the Alexa app, and then repeating steps 3 through 7 along with step 9 above. We usually find that this gets the speaker to appear here as it should.
11. Find your Clip 4 on the Discovered Devices List
See the last screenshot above. Our test speaker is there.
12. Finally, Pair your Alexa with your Clip 4
Pair to the speaker by tapping its corresponding entry on the Pair Bluetooth Device… screen, we see in the last screenshot above.
Your Alexa speaker then pairs with the BT speaker.
The app then takes you back to the Thomas’s 2nd Echo Dot 4 screen, which looks something like the following.
Note that our Bluetooth speaker now shows as connected. Also, the JBL Clip 4 makes the Speaker Paired sound (the three ascending guitar notes), and Alexa announces on the Clip 4 that the link has been made.
This speaker is now connected with your Alexa smart speaker. Its status lamp glows solid blue to signal that successful pairing is in effect.
13. Done with How to Connect JBL Clip 4 to Alexa !
We can now ask Alexa to play music or news, and those programs will come out of the Clip 4. Be sure though, to speak to the Echo speaker when making requests, and not the BT speaker. Even though the Clip 4 is now paired with Alexa, the Alexa is still the speaker that receives voice commands through its internal far field microphones.
Other Posts About the JBL Clip 4 Wireless Speaker
- JBL Clip 4 Blinking Red Light, How to Fix
- JBL Clip 4 Watts Output, Input, Battery, AC…
- How to Charge JBL Clip 4 Speaker
- How to Make JBL Clip 4 Discoverable
- JBL Clip 4 Charge Time to Fully Recharge
Related Posts to How to Connect JBL Clip 4 to Alexa
- How to Connect JBL Clip 3 to Alexa
- JBL Clip 2 Speaker How to Connect to Alexa
- How to Connect JBL Go 2 to Alexa via Bluetooth
- Connecting a JBL Go 3 BT Speaker to Alexa
- How to Connect JBL Xtreme 3 to Alexa
References for How to Connect JBL Clip 4 to Alexa
- 2022-09-01: First published.