Some models of the Honeywell smart thermostats including the RTH9580WF discussed in this post, feature a screen lock mode, that prevents anyone from changing thermostat settings without first entering a pass code. You create this pass code iwhen you request to lock your thermostat. Subsequently, the t-stat asks you to enter this password to regain access to settings such as temperature, scheduling, Wi-Fi, and general system settings. So here we show how to lock and unlock Honeywell thermostat. Following, we demonstrate this on Honeywell’s RTH9580WF smart WiFi thermostat.
In this demo, we’ll show how to lock as well as unlock the Honeywell RTH9580WF wireless thermostat. We assume here that your thermostat is fully unlocked to start with.
How to Lock a Honeywell RTH9580WF Smart Thermostat
1. Tap the MENU Option
Find the MENU button in top right corner of the screen, which then displays the main menu screen. Once there, you may have to press the down-arrow button a few times to locate the Security Settings item. The next picture shows the main menu, already scrolled, to reveal this option.
2. Tap the Security Settings Option
The Security Settings screen then displays, as shown next.
3. Tap the Change Lock Mode Button to Continue with How to Lock and Unlock a Honeywell Thermostat
This brings up the Change Lock Mode screen, as shown next. Note that the Unlocked option is highlighted on that screen in a brighter blue, indicating that the thermostat is currently unlocked and that users can access all settings and schedules without unlocking it first. We’re now going to lock it.
4. Tap the Fully Locked Option
This again displays the Change Lock Mode screen, but now, shows that Fully Locked option highlighted in the bright blue. The thermostat will be placed in fully locked mode once you press the Done button in the next step.
Note that we could have tapped the Partially Locked button here instead, in which case that option would have been highlighted in the next screen shot. But in this demo, we’re only showing what happens with the Fully Locked mode.
However, you establish partial locking in the same way as shown below in the Fully Locked case, except that after locking, you’ll have access to some of the thermostat’s settings (namely, the current temperature setting on the Home screen), whereas with full locking, you’ll be able to access none of the settings, without first unlocking the thermostat.
5. Tap the Done Button
This takes you back to the Security Settings screen, as shown next. Your thermostat is now fully locked.
Note that if you wish not to set up a passcode, you can skip ahead to step 9 below. The thermostat will still be locked, even though you’ve not set up a passcode. So you won’t need a password therefore, to unlock it. However, here we’re going to add one nonetheless, to demonstrate the comprehensiveness of the locking mechanism on Honeywell thermostats.
6. Tap the Create Password Button to Continue with How to Lock and Unlock a Honeywell Thermostat
The Your Password has been Created screen then displays, which shows a four-digit passcode that you’ll need to unlock the thermostat subsequently.
7. Write Down the Provided Password
Be careful not to misplace or forget this passcode. Record it somewhere and keep it safe. Without it, you’ll be unable to gain access to the thermostat controls. Nor will you be able to reset the thermostat to factory defaults without calling Honeywell for help.
8. Press the Done Button
Tapping Done returns you to the Security Settings screen, showing that the Create Password button has now changed to the Remove Password button.
9. Tap the Previous Menu Button
The Previous Menu option returns you to the main menu, as shown next.
10. Tap the Home Button to Continue with How to Lock and Unlock a Honeywell Thermostat
Find the Home link in the top left corner of the screen, as arrowed above. This returns you to the thermostat’s home screen, as shown next. The thermostat is now in fully locked mode.
11. Check that the Honeywell Thermostat Screen is Locked
Try tapping the up and down arrows that adjust the current temperature setting. These buttons are circled in pink in the previous picture, at screen right. When the thermostat is indeed locked fully, any attempt to change the temperature produces the Screen Locked screen, as displayed next. If you get this page, your RTH9580WF is locked, and cannot be adjusted at all without the passcode. See below for how to unlock this locked Honeywell smart thermostat.
12. Press the OK Button to Go Back to the Home Screen
You may view current thermostat status and settings while locked; you just can’t change anything.
What the Full Lock Mode Restricts on Honeywell 9000 Series Smart Thermostats
Fully locked Honeywell thermostats prevent any changes to settings at all, including the current temperature.
All locked modes (full and partial) disallow the following main menu items. When locked, these do not appear when you view the thermostat’s main menu.
- Create Schedule
- Color Themes
- Vacation Mode
- Temporary Schedule Changes
- Wi-Fi Setup
- System Setup
Either lock mode permits access to the following status menu items.
- View Schedule
- Equipment Status
- Clean Screen
- Security Settings
Partially locked mode disallows the same main menu functions as fully locked mode. However unlike fully locked mode, partially locked mode allows you to change the thermostat’s current temperature setting.
About the Lock Mode Password
The screen lock mechanism, and Security Settings password feature, function somewhat independently of each other; though they are related. E.g. You may lock the thermostat screen either with or without setting a password, and you may set a password that fences the Security Settings functions, without actually locking the thermostat screen.
If a password has been established, you’ll need it to enter the Security Settings menu whether or not screen lock mode is in effect. The password restricts only the access to the Security Settings main menu function. It does not however, actually lock the screen.
But the lock screen mechanism restricts access to certain main menu items as well as the temperature setting buttons on the home screen if in full-lock mode. These two functions are related in that, in order to lock or unlock the thermostat, you must have access to the Security Settings menu item; whether it has been password protected or not. So, if you have set a password, and since you need access to the Security Settings menu to lock or unlock the thermostat, then you’ll need that password to unlock the thermostat. If you didn’t set a password, then you won’t need a password.
How to Unlock a Honeywell RTH9580WF Smart Thermostat
1. On the Home Screen, Tap the MENU Option
Find the MENU button in top right corner of that page.
This then displays the main menu screen, as we did above. Again, don’t forget that you might have to press the down-arrow button a few times to find the Security Settings menu item.
The next picture shows the main menu, already scrolled, to show the Security Settings option.
2. Tap the Security Settings Option
A password protected Honeywell thermostat then shows the Please enter your password prompt screen, as shown next.
3. Enter the Pass Code to Continue with How to Lock and Unlock a Honeywell Thermostat
Enter the code you assigned when you password-protected the thermostat. In this demo, our security code was 2752. So, we used the up and down arrows above and below each number position to enter the correct digit for each position.
This is shown in the next screenshot. Again, all that entering this password correctly does, is allow access to the Security Settings menu, where you can then either completely unlock, partially lock, or remove the Security Settings password altogether.
4. Press the Done Button
Tap Done once you’ve punched in the passcode, the thermostat then shows the Security Settings screen, as shown next.
From here, you could choose either to delete the Security Settings password, or just to change the lock mode while leaving the existing password in effect. You need not remove the password to unlock the thermostat. Nor must you change the lock mode in order to remove the password.
5. Tap the Change Lock Mode Button
This again displays the Change Lock Mode screen, that shows the Fully Locked option highlighted in blue.
6. Tap the Unlocked Button to Continue with How to Lock and Unlock a Honeywell Thermostat
This unlocks the thermostat and returns you to the Security Settings screen, as shown next.
7. Tap the Previous Menu Button
This returns you to the main menu as shown next. Note that all menu items are now available. Verify this by scrolling down through them. If you see items such as Create Schedule, Color Themes, Preferences, Temporary Schedule Changes, WiFi Setup, and System Setup, then your thermostat has definitely been unlocked.
8. Done with How to Lock and Unlock a Honeywell Thermostat !
You are now free to change any setting you wish on the main menu. Thermostat unlocking is now complete.
Other Posts About the Honeywell RTH9580WF Thermostat
- Honeywell RTH9580WF WiFi Setup Instructions
- Change WiFi Network on Honeywell Smart Thermostat RTH9580WF
- How to Change Honeywell Thermostat Temperature Setting
- Change Time and Day on Honeywell RTH9580WF Thermostat, How To
- Connecting Amazon Echo Dot to Honeywell Thermostats
- How to Reset Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF
- Fixing WiFi Problems on Honeywell RTH9580WF Smart Thermostat
- How to Find Honeywell RTH9580WF Thermostat IP Address, MAC ID, CRC
- Honeywell Smart Thermostat Wiring Instructions RTH9580WF
- How to Set Honeywell RTH9580WF Thermostat Temperature
- Register Honeywell WiFi Thermostat RTH9580WF Online
- Unregister Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF Instructions
- How to Calibrate Honeywell Thermostat Temperature RTH9580WF
- Honeywell Smart WiFi Thermostat Manual RTH9580WF
- Restore Factory Defaults, Honeywell Smart Thermostat RTH9580WF
- Setting Temperature Differential, Honeywell Smart Thermostat RTH9580WF
- Honeywell RTH9580WF Thermostat Reset Instructions
- Reconnecting Honeywell Thermostat RTH9580WF to WiFi
- Honeywell Waiting for Update RTH9580WF Message
- Set Honeywell Thermostat Temperature Limits on RTH9580WF
- Honeywell Thermostat Waiting for Equipment Message, How to Clear on the RTH9580WF Smart Thermostat
- Honeywell RTH9580WF Smart Thermostat Review
- How to Restart Honeywell Thermostat
References for How to Lock and Unlock a Honeywell Thermostat
- I need to unlock a locked screen on a RTH9580WF Honeywell from JustAnswer.com
- Locked out of RTH9580WF, now what? from ThermostatForums.com
- User Guide for the Honeywell 9000 Series Color Touchscreen Thermostats from Honeywell
- 2020-04-18: Added more tags.
- 2019-03-01: Added keyword targeting and some tags.
- 2017-03-03: Originally published.