This post demonstrates how to pair JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth speaker with iOS devices, including the iPhone, iPod Touch, and the iPad Air line of Apple phones and tablets.
How to Pair JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth Speaker with iOS Devices, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
With your JBL Flip 2 powered off (power button is dark), run through this routine to pair it to your iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch iOS mobile device. We’re using an iPad Air tablet for this demo.
1. Navitate to the Home Screen on your iOS Device
Press the Home button to get to the mobile iOS device’s Home screen.
2. Find the Settings App
We found ours on the second page of the iOS home screen on our iPad Air running iOS 11.4, as shown next.
3. Bring up the Settings App
Tap the Settings app icon.
The iOS device then displays the first page of its settings, as shown in the next step.
4. Go to Bluetooth Settings
Our Bluetooth settings screen displays as follows. Note that our Bluetooth is enabled here. But since our JBL Flip 2 speaker is currently powered OFF and not in Bluetooth discovery mode, it does not show up in the Bluetooth devices list. Also, we don’t see it since we’ve never paired our Flip 2 with the iPad Air before. See this as shown in this list of previously paired Bluetooth devices, shown next.
5. Turn On your JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth Speaker
Turn on the JBL Flip 2 by quickly pressing its Power button. See this pointed at by the blue arrow in the next picture.
The speaker then powers up.
But since our iPad does not know about this speaker, the Flip 2 will not pair with it automatically. The Bluetooth pairing light pointed at by the green arrow in the next picture is OFF. This denotes this not-paired state.
6. Put your JBL Bluetooth Speaker into Discovery Mode
Now, to see your JBL Flip 2 speaker on your iOS device, place the speaker into Bluetooth discovery mode. To do that, press and release the Bluetooth button, as pointed at by the green arrow in the last picture.
When you press the Bluetooth Discovery Mode button, the speaker makes a repeating single tone sound several times. Also, the Bluetooth button changes from not glowing at all to a flashing white. We snapped the next picture of the Bluetooth button during the ON part of its flashing.
7. Find your JBL Flip 2 on your iOS Device
See the screen shot next. We found our speaker, as pointed at by the blue arrow.
8. Pair your iOS Device with your JBL Flip 2 Portable Speaker
Tap the listed speaker in the Devices list.
Your iOS device then pairs with the Flip 2 (“JBL Flip 2” here). The iOS device’s Bluetooth Settings screen then changes to look something like the following. The blue arrows show the JBL Flip 2 paired, connected to an iPad Air tablet.
We have now successfully paired our JBL Flip 2 portable speaker with our iPad iOS device.
- How to Pair Victor Reader Trek with JBL Flip 2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- JBL Flip 2 Reset Instructions, How to Factory Hard Reset JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth Speaker, Someday Perhaps
- How to Adjust Volume on JBL Flip 2 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker, Turn Volume Up and Down
- JBL Flip 2 Wireless Portable Bluetooth Speaker Picture Gallery
- How to Change JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth Speaker Name, Rename, Someday Perhaps
- Bluetooth won’t connect to JBL Flip, from Apple Communities
- How do I Connect my iPhone to the JBL Speaker? from Apple Support
- 2018-06-25: First published.