You may wish to factory reset the Alexa Echo Dot speaker because you wish to sell your old one to another. Or perhaps you just want to connect it to a different Amazon account, or to a different wireless network. So, to that end, in order to reset your Alexa Echo Dot to factory default condition, perform the following steps. Resetting unlinks the speaker from its current Amazon Alexa account, and assures that it forgets its current Wi-Fi connection information. So be warned that after the reset, your Alexa Echo Dot speaker will not work until it’s been properly set up again.
How to Reset Alexa Echo Dot Smart Speaker
Note that factory reset of the Echo Dot 1 and Echo Dot 2 devices is essentially the same procedure; just the location of the reset button on each is different.
- Connect to power. Connect the Echo Dot to its USB power adapter. The light ring will illuminate blue for a time, and then go out, indicating that boot up has completed.
- Press the Echo Dot reset button. See our Where is the Echo Dot Reset Button post, for details on how to find the reset button on the 1st and 2nd generation Echo Dot devices. Anyway, once the light ring goes completely dark, for the Echo Dot 1, use a straightened paper clip to press and hold the recessed Reset button for approximately five to ten seconds, until the light ring turns orange, and then blue. For the Dot 2, press and hold the Mic Mute and Volume Down buttons simultaneously for the same amount of time.
- Wait for hard reset to finish. After a several-seconds pause, the light ring goes completely dark for a few seconds, and then turns orange.
- Reset now finished. Your Echo Dot speaker has now been reset to its factory default settings and has entered setup mode.
- Set up again, or pack up. You may now unplug, pack, and give your Echo Dot to someone else without fear that they’ll have access to the Alexa settings on your personal Amazon account. Those prior values have now been erased from the your Echo Dot. Or, you can set it up once again on your existing account. Once the light ring turns orange, the unit remains in setup mode until someone executes the published setup procedure. The Echo Dot will not function until properly set up and linked to an Amazon account.
- You’re done!
- AC Power Adapter Specs for Amazon Alexa Echo Dot 2 Smart Speaker
- Amazon Alexa Echo Dot Setup Help Instructions
- Amazon Echo Dot Smart Speaker Review, Gen 2
- Change Wi-Fi Network on Amazon Echo Dot
- How to Force a Firmware Update on the Amazon Echo Alexa Smart Speakers
- How to Set the Sleep Timer on Amazon Alexa Echo Dot Gen 2 Smart Speaker
- Where is the Echo Dot Reset Button
- Reset Your Echo Dot (2nd Generation) from Amazon.com
- Reset Your Amazon Echo or Echo Dot (1st Generation) from Amazon.com
- 2017-03-29: Originally published.