You may wish to know how to reset Alexa Echo Gen 2 Dot speaker. Why? Because perhaps you want to sell your old Alexa to a friend. Or perhaps you just want to connect it to a different Amazon account, or to a different wireless network. So, to that end, to reset your Alexa Echo Dot to factory default condition, perform the following steps.
Resetting unlinks the speaker from its current Amazon Alexa account, and assures that it forgets its current Wi-Fi connection information. So be warned that after the reset, your Alexa Echo Dot speaker will not work until it’s been properly set up again.
How to Reset Alexa Echo Gen 2 Dot Smart Speaker
Note that the factory reset routine for all Alexa Echo devices is roughly the same. It’s just the location of the reset button on each is different. Furthermore, some don’t have a dedicated reset button, as is the case for this Gen 2 version of the speaker.
1. Connect to AC Power
First, connect the Echo Dot to its USB power adapter. The light ring will illuminate blue for a time, and then go out, indicating that boot up has completed.
2. Press the Echo Dot Reset Button
See our Where is the Echo Dot Reset Button post, for details on how to find the reset button on the 1st and 2nd generation Echo Dot devices.
Anyway, once the light ring goes completely dark, for the Dot 2, press and hold the Mic Off and Volume Down buttons at the same time.
3. Wait for Hard Reset to Finish
Then, keep holding in the buttons until, after several-seconds, the light ring goes completely dark for a few seconds, and then turns orange.
4. Reset Now Finished
Finally, your Echo Dot speaker has now been reset to its factory default settings and has entered setup mode.
5. Set Up Again, or Pack Up you Echo Dot Speaker
You may now unplug, pack, and give your Echo Dot to someone else without fear that they’ll have access to the Alexa settings on your personal Amazon account. Those prior values have now been erased from the your Echo Dot. Or, you can set it up once again on your existing account. Once the light ring turns orange, the unit remains in setup mode until someone executes the published setup procedure. The Echo Dot will not function until properly set up and linked to an Amazon account.
6. Done with How to Reset Alexa Echo Gen 2 Dot !
Related Posts to How to Reset Alexa Echo Gen 2 Dot
- Unpacking Alexa Echo Gen 2 Dot Speaker
- Amazon Alexa Echo Dot Setup Help Instructions
- Where is the Echo Dot Reset Button
- Reset Echo Dot 2nd Generation to Factory Settings
- How to Reset JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Speaker
- Reset Alexa Echo Speaker, How To
- How to Reset HP Deskjet 3632 to Solve Problems
- How to Reset Echo Alexa Smart Speakers
- Reset Google Home Speakers, How To
- How to Reset JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Speaker
References for How to Reset Alexa Echo Gen 2 Dot
- Reset Your Echo Dot (2nd Generation) from Amazon.com
- Reset Your Amazon Echo or Echo Dot (1st Generation) from Amazon.com
- 2019-04-12: Tweaked the key phrase targeting and removed ad code.
- 2017-03-29: Originally published.