You may wish to reset Echo Dot 2nd Generation to factory settings because you wish to sell it. Or you just want to set it to another Amazon account, or to a new WiFi network. So, in that vein, to reset your speaker to factory settings, just run through the following steps.
Factory resetting unlinks the 2nd generation Echo Dot unit from its current Amazon account. So, it forgets its current WiFi connection settings. So beware that after the reset, this speaker will likely not work until after it’s been properly set up again.
How to Reset Echo Dot 2nd Generation
1. Connect to Power
Connect the speaker to its USB power adapter, and plug that adapter into a functioning AC outlet. The light ring will then illuminate blue for a time, and then go out, indicating that boot up has completed.
2. Press the Reset Button Combination
Find this button combo pointed out by the pink arrows in the next picture. Detail: Pressing the Mute and Volume Down buttons at the same time starts the reset process.
Anyway, wait for the light ring goes completely dark. Then, press and hold the Mic Mute and Volume Down buttons at the same time.
3. Wait for Reset to Finish
After several-seconds, the light ring goes completely dark for a few seconds, and then turns orange.
4. Echo Dot 2nd Generation Reset Now Finished
Your Echo Dot speaker has now been reset to its factory default settings and has entered setup mode, as shown next.
Set Up Again, or Pack Up
You may now unplug, pack, and give your Echo Dot to someone else without fear that they’ll have access to the Alexa settings on your personal Amazon account. Those prior values have now been erased from the your Echo Dot. Or, you can set it up once again on your existing account. Once the light ring turns orange, the unit remains in setup mode until someone executes the published setup procedure. The Echo Dot will not function until properly set up and linked to an Amazon account.
Other Posts About the Echo Dot 2nd Generation Speaker
- Echo Dot 2nd Generation Review
- How to Connect Echo Dot 2nd Generation to WiFi
- Echo Dot 2nd Generation Setup Instructions
- Amazon Echo Dot 2nd Generation Charger Specs
Related Posts to How to Reset Echo Dot 2nd Generation Speaker
- How to Reset JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Speaker
- Reset Echo Dot 1st Generation, Gen 1 Echo Dot Reset
- How to Reset Echo Spot to Factory Settings
- JBL Xtreme Reset Instructions – How to Reset JBL Xtreme Speaker
- Reset Chromecast Audio to Factory Settings, How To
- 2020-05-01: Added more tags.
- 2019-05-04: Added tags.
- 2019-04-15: Tweaked the targeting.
- 2018-12-12: First published.