You may wish to reset Amazon Dot Gen 2 speaker. Why? Because perhaps you cannot discover it on Bluetooth devices when pairing to it. Or perhaps it’s playing in a stuttering, broken-up way. Sometimes the WiFi and Bluetooth info inside the Dot can become corrupt. Then, should that happen, only a factory reset can restore it to correct function.
Indeed, resetting the Amazon Dot 2 often clears Bluetooth and WiFi connection issues. So, to that end, to reset your Dot to factory default condition, run through the following steps. Resetting not only clears WiFi and Bluetooth connection data. But it also unlinks the Dot from its current Amazon Alexa account. So this further assures that it forgets its current WiFi connections.
After the reset, your Dot 2 will not work until someone sets it up again.
Amazon Gen 2 Dot Speaker Hard Factory Reset Instructions
Note that factory reset of the Echo Dot 1 and Echo Dot 2 devices is essentially the same procedure; just the location of the reset button on each is different.
1. Connect to Power
Connect the Echo Dot to its USB power adapter. The light ring will illuminate blue for a time, and then go out, indicating that boot up has completed.
2. Press the Gen 2 Dot Reset Button
See our Where is the Echo Dot Reset Button post, for details on how to find the reset button on Echo Dot devices.
Anyway, the light ring goes dark after a brief pause, until the speaker finishes booting. When it does, press and hold the Mic Mute and Volume Down buttons together for five to ten seconds.
3. Wait for Hard Reset to Finish
After a several-seconds pause, the light ring goes completely dark for a few seconds, and then turns orange.
4. Amazon Dot 2 Reset Now Done!
You have now put your Echo Dot 2 speaker back to its factory default settings. Then after reset, it enters setup mode.
5. Set Up Again, or Pack Up
You may now unplug, pack, and give your Echo Dot to someone else. No need to fear that they’ll have access to the Alexa settings on your personal Amazon account. You have now erased those prior values from your Dot 2.
Or, you can set it up once again on your existing account. Once the light ring turns orange, the unit remains in setup mode until someone executes the published setup procedure. The Echo Dot will not function until properly set up and linked to an Amazon account.
Related Posts to Amazon Dot 2 Reset Instructions
- Reset Echo Spot to Factory Settings, How To
- JBL Clip 3 Reset Instructions
- Reset Chromecast Audio to Factory Settings, How To
- JBL Charge 4 Speaker Reset Instructions
- Echo Dot 3rd Generation Reset Instructions
References for Amazon Dot 2 Reset
- Reset Your Echo Dot (2nd Generation) from Amazon.com
- Reset Your Amazon Echo or Echo Dot (1st Generation) from Amazon.com
- 2020-05-01: Added tags.
- 2019-08-26: Added key word targeting for ‘Amazon Dot 2 Reset’, removed ad scripts, and added more links and tags.
- 2017-12-10: Fixed some typos.
- 2017-02-20: Originally published.