You may want to know how to restart the Google Home Mini smart speaker if it behaves erratically, becomes non responsive to questions and commands, locks up, emits strange noises, breaks up, chirps unexpectedly, and so on. Always try a speaker restart first, as this often clears up many problems, and avoids the unnecessary action of hard resetting your speaker. Note that restarting Google Home Mini differs from resetting it.
How to Restart Google Home Mini Method One: The Local Method
If you’re near to the Google Home Mini speaker, you can just disconnect it from AC power, wait ten seconds, and then plug it back in. The unit will complete restarting in less than a minute.
How to Restart Google Home Mini Method Two: The Remote Method, Through the Google Home App
But if you’re far away from your Mini, such as upstairs from it, you can issue a restart command via the Google Home app on your mobile device as follows.
This method depends on you having the Google Home app installed on your phone or tablet, and linked to the same Google account to which your Google Home Mini speaker is linked. Your phone or tablet must also be connected to the same local network as the speaker you’re restarting. If all of that is in place, then do the following, to initiate a remote restart of your speaker.
1. Run the Google Home App on your Tablet or Other Mobile Device
We’re using an iPad Air computer tablet in this scenario. We find this app on page three of our iPad’s home screen, although yours may appear in a different place, depending on how many apps you have installed as well as how you’ve arranged them.
Upon running this app, the Google home screen appears, as follows.
2. Tap the Hamburger Menu Control
Find this control menu link in the top left corner of the Google Home app Home screen, as pointed at in the previous picture by the pink arrow.
This brings up the main menu as shown next.
3. Tap the Devices Menu Item
This brings up a list of your local Google Home devices that have been configured on the current Google account, as shown next for our case.
4. Find the Google Home Mini Speaker you Wish to Restart
Locate the speaker by scrolling down through the list until you find it. We currently only have one. So we found ours straight away, as shown below.
5. Tap the Device’s Hamburger Menu Control
Find this control in the top right corner of its card, pointed at by the purple arrow in the picture just above.
The Google Home Mini speaker’s control menu then pops up, as shown next.
6. Tap the Reboot Menu Item
We’ve circled this in purple in the last picture. The Restart Confirmation dialog then appears, something like that shown in the next picture.
7. Tap the REBOOT Link in the Restart Confirmation Dialog Box
This begins a remote restart of your Google Home Mini speaker, closes the restart confirmation dialog box. The app then returns you to the Devices List screen. Your Mini then temporarily disappears from the Devices List screen while it restarts. Later, it reappears, once the restart Google Home Mini routine finishes.
Note the light patterns on your Google Mini. They show that a restart is in progress within thirty seconds of your issuing the restart command, as shown next.
8. Finished with How to Restart Google Home Mini !
Once the Google Home Mini again appears in the Devices list in the Google Home app, and the lights on the speaker go out, restart has wrapped up successfully. Then, you can try some commands and questions.
Hopefully, restarting has fixed any issues plaguing your speaker. But if not, you can always try more drastic measures, such as hard resetting your Mini, and then setting it up again.
Other Posts About the Google Home Mini Smart Speaker
- How to Set Up Spotify on Google Home Mini
- Google Home Mini Power Adapter Specs
- How to Connect Google Home Mini to Bluetooth Speaker
- Google Home Mini Charger Specs for Google Mini Speaker
- How to Set Sleep Timer on Google Home Mini Speaker
- Unlink Google Home from Pandora, How To
- Change WiFi on Google Home Mini, How To Steps
- How to Reset Google Mini Speaker
- Google Home Mini Spotify Commands List
- How to Turn Up Volume on Google Home Mini Speaker
- Clearing Google Assistant Voice Recordings History Instructions
- How to Control Google Home Mini Volume
- AC Power Adapter for Google Home Mini
- How to Turn Down Google Home Mini Volume
- Google Home Mini Bluetooth Pairing Instructions
- How to Pause Google Home Mini
- How to Resume Google Home Mini
- Lower Volume on Google Home Mini, How To
- Link Spotify to Google Home Mini Instructions
- Google Home Mini Pictures Gallery
- Setting Up Google Home Mini Instructions
- Google Home Mini Unboxing, Step by Step
- How to Adjust Volume on Google Home Mini
- Does Google Home Mini Have Bluetooth Yet?
- Google Home Mini Volume Control, How to Set
- How to Use Google Home Mini as Bluetooth Speaker
- Reboot Google Home Mini, How to Instructions
- How to Adjust Bass and Treble on Google Home Mini
- Unlink Spotify from Google Home Mini, How To
Related Posts to How to Restart Google Home Mini
- How to Restart Echo Dot Smart Speaker
- Restarting Chromecast Audio
- How to Restart Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Generation
- Restarting Charge 4 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Restart Echo Dot 3rd Generation
- Restarting the JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Restart Google Home Speaker
- Restarting JBL Go 2 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Restart Charge 3 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Restart Samsung Galaxy J7 Android Phone
- Restart Honeywell Thermostat, How To
- How to Restart Alexa Echo Dot, Amazon Dot
- Restart Alexa Smart Speaker, How To
- How to Restart Alexa Dot Smart Speaker
- How to Restart JBL Flip 5 Bluetooth Speaker
- Restarting JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Restart JBL Xtreme Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Restart Alexa Echo Dot Speaker
- Restart Amazon Echo Dot Speaker, How To
- How to Restart JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Force Restart Samsung J7
References for How to Restart Google Home mini Speaker
- 2020-06-30: First published.