There are a few ways for how to set the volume control on a typical JBL Bluetooth speaker. These depend on the app(s) you’re playing from mostly. Many apps provide volume controls. Plus, most JBL speakers have two buttons for volume control. Find these (the + and -) buttons on the top or side of most models. Note though, that you usually cannot set volume with the JBL Connect app.
How to Change Loudness Using the JBL Bluetooth Speaker Volume Control
First, you can set the volume without using any apps as follows.
1. Lay Out the Speaker such that the Raised Controls Face You
See the correct speaker position shown next. Note that there are four buttons in this row, which is located just above the light panel. Further, these include the Volume DOWN (-), and Volume UP (+), controls in the center of this row.
2. Work the JBL Bluetooth Speaker Volume Control by Pressing the – and + Buttons
Next, press the (-) button at the left center of the speaker to reduce the volume. Tap the (+) button at the right center of the speaker to increase the volume.
How to Set the JBL Bluetooth Speaker Volume Control with Siri Voice Commands on iOS
A JBL Bluetooth speaker, depending on the model, lets you access Siri by pressing the Play / Pause button on the top or front of the speaker, when paired with an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch). This feature will not function though, until you change the role of the speaker’s Play / Pause button in the JBL Connect app. But once you do that, press that button, and you get the screen on your iOS device shown in the last picture.
Next is an example of giving Siri a voice command to set the volume to half (50 percent).
At any rate, once you’ve changed the Play / Pause button into a Siri control button, briefly press that button to get Siri’s attention. Then ask her to raise and lower the volume as follows.
Next is an example of Siri responding to a voice command to set the volume to FULL (100 percent).
Siri currently understands one scale for volume adjustment: 0-100 percent. Example commands follow. Say these after you’ve pressed the Play / Pause to wake her up.
- Set volume 0 [muted].
- Volume 0.
- Set volume 10 [Ten percent].
- Set volume 10 percent.
- Volume 10.
- Set volume 76 percent.
- Volume 76.
- Set volume 100 [One hundred percent, full volume].
There are also shortcut commands for minimum and maximum volume setting, as in:
- Mute. [Sets the volume to zero percent, minimum, muted state.]
- Half volume. [Adjusts volume to fifty percent, or half of full.]
- Set volume full. [Sets speaker volume to maximum, 100 percent.]
- Set volume max. [Sets speaker volume to maximum, 100 percent.]
- Volume half. [Adjusts volume to fifty percent, or half of full.]
- Volume minimum. [Sets the volume to zero percent, minimum, muted state.]
How to Change the JBL Bluetooth Speaker Volume Control on the BT Source Device
You can raise and lower the speaker volume with the controls on the paired device too. E.g. You can do the same with paired Android devices as well. But we found that volume adjustments on the speaker do not change the volume setting on our Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Phone Pro. For this phone, the volume control on the speaker seemed to set the gain of the amplifiers on the speaker itself, and not the phone volume. We heard distortion in the speaker, with its volume set to half while the phone volume was at full (100 percent). So, just be aware of this so you can avoid “over driving” the speaker with your Android device.
In this demo though, we’re playing YouTube content on our iPad Air, and streaming to the JBL Bluetooth speaker through the BT connection.
1. Pair your JBL Bluetooth Speaker
2. Begin Playing a Music Source
Start streaming an internet radio station, a song from YouTube or Spotify for example, or an Audible book. In this demo, we streamed YouTube audio to the speaker, as shown next.
3. Use your Source Mobile Device’s Volume Control Buttons to Set the Volume of the JBL Bluetooth Speaker
See this done in the next picture.
Note the purpled arrowed volume setter square with a speaker inside of it in the last picture.
Also note that the volume change you hear on the speaker lags by a second or so. Why? Because of the latency (delay) of the commands going across the Bluetooth airwaves.
Again, we’re not covering here how to set volume for individual apps. So, we leave figuring out how to do this as a reader exercise.
Related Posts to JBL Bluetooth Speaker Volume Control
- JBL Flip 5 Volume Control Explained
- Apple Headphones Volume Control Gripe
- How to Control Google Home Mini Volume
Other Posts About JBL Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Connect JBL Bluetooth Speaker to Alexa
- How to Restart JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Speaker
- JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speaker, How to Adjust Volume
- How to Factory Reset JBL Xtreme Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Charge JBL Flip 5 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- 2020-11-30: First published.