This post shows how to setup a Bluetooth connection between the JBL Charge 3 speaker and a Bluetooth source device like a tablet or phone.
JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Connection Setup, Step by Step
With your JBL Charge 3 powered off (power button is dark), run through this routine to set up a Bluetooth connection between it and your device. We’re using an iPad Air tablet in this example.
1. Bring Up the Home Screen on your Bluetooth Device
Press the Home button to uncover the mobile iOS device’s Home screen.
2. Find the Settings App
We found ours on the second page of the iPad Home screen as shown next.
3. Bring up the Settings App to Continue with JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Connection Setup
Tap the Settings app icon.
The device then displays the first page of its settings, as shown in the next step.
4. Go to Bluetooth Settings
Our screen displays as follows. Note that our Bluetooth is enabled here. But since JBL Charge 3 speaker is currently powered OFF, it does not show up in the Bluetooth devices list. Also, we don’t see it since we’ve never connected this speaker with this tablet before. See this as shown in this list of previously paired Bluetooth devices, shown next.
5. Turn On your JBL Charge 3 BT Speaker
Turn on the speaker by quickly pressing its Power button. See this pointed at by the green arrow in the next picture.
The speaker then powers up.
But since our tablet does not know about this speaker, the JBL Charge 3 will not form a Bluetooth connection with it automatically. The light that comes on in the Power switch denotes this not-paired state by glowing solid white, as shown next.
6. Put your Speaker into Discovery Mode to Continue with JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Connection Setup
Now, to see your JBL Charge 3 speaker on your Bluetooth device, place the speaker into discovery / pairing mode. To do that, press and release the Bluetooth button, as shown in the next picture.
When you press the Bluetooth discovery mode button, the JBL makes a repeating single pluck guitar note sound a few to several times. Also, the Power button changes from a solid white glow to flashing blue. See this next.
7. Find your JBL Charge 3 on your Bluetooth Source Device
See the screen shot next. We found the speaker, as pointed at by the blue arrow, as shown next.
8. Make a Bluetooth Connection with your JBL Charge 3
Tap the listed speaker in the Other Devices section of the Bluetooth Devices list, shown above.
Your BT device then connects with the speaker (“JBL Charge 3” in this demo). The device’s Bluetooth Settings screen then changes to look something like the following.
Note that the JBL Charge 3 now shows as connected, as pointed at by the Blue arrows in the last picture. The Bluetooth connection has now been established.
9. Done with JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Connection Setup !
We have now successfully paired our JBL Charge 3 portable speaker with our iPad iOS device. This procedure also works when pairing with Apple iPhone and iPod devices, although the screen faces may differ slightly on the iPhone.
Other Posts About the JBL Charge 3 Portable Speaker
- Pairing JBL Charge 3 with Google Home Instructions
- Finding JBL Charge 3 Firmware Version
- JBL Charge 3 Picture Gallery for this Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- JBL Charge 3 Buttons Guide, What Each Button Does
- Specs for the JBL Charge 3 Power Bank Speaker
References for JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Connection Setup
- JBL Charge 3 Portable Bluetooth Speaker, on Amazon.com
- Harman Audio JBL Charge 3 Waterproof Speaker on harmanaudio.com
- 2020-11-18: First published.