This post shows how to connect JBL Charge 3 with Alexa speakers such as the Echo and Dot models. Since this Bluetooth connection happens directly between the Charge 3 JBL and Alexa, you need not turn Bluetooth on in the mobile device you’re using to set up this linkage.
How to Connect JBL Charge 3 to Alexa
With your JBL Charge 3 powered off (power button is dark), run through this routine to connect / pair it to your Alexa Echo speaker. We use an iPad Air tablet to set up this BT connection.
1. Find the Alexa app on your Mobile Device
We found the Alexa app on the iPad Air as shown in the next screenshot. In our case, the app is on the third home screen page. It’s pointed at by the blue arrow.
2. Run the Alexa App
The app then displays its Home screen as shown in the next screenshot.
3. Tap the Hamburger Control
Find the hamburger item in the top left corner of the screen, pointed at by the blue arrow in the last screenshot.
This brings up the main menu, as shown in the next screenshot.
4. Tap the Settings Option on the App’s Main Menu to Continue with How to Connect JBL Charge 3 to Alexa
The Settings option is pointed at by the blue arrow in the last screenshot.
This brings up the Settings screen, as shown in the next screenshot. From here, choose which Alexa device you wish to connect with your JBL Charge 3.
5. Tap the Desired Device to Connect
This takes you to the device-specific settings screen for the Alexa speaker you chose.
In this demo, we’re connecting from our Bedroom Dot speaker to our JBL Charge 3 speaker.
6. Tap the Bluetooth Item
Find the Bluetooth option pointed at by the blue arrow in the last screenshot.
This brings up the Bluetooth Devices screen, as shown next.
At this point, you’re ready to start a Bluetooth scan by your Alexa speaker. We’ve chosen the Dot we want in the last step. So, that smart speaker will be the one that scans for Bluetooth devices.
But don’t press the Pair a New Device button just yet. We must first power up your JBL Charge 3 speaker and put it into discovery mode.
7. Turn On your JBL Charge 3 to Continue with How to Connect JBL Charge 3 to Alexa
Put down your mobile device for a second, and turn on the JBL Charge 3 by quickly pressing its Power button. See this pointed at by the green arrow in the next picture.
The speaker then powers up.
But since our Alexa Dot does not know about this speaker, the Charge 3 JBL will not yet pair with it by itself. Thus, the light that comes on in the Power switch depicts this not-paired state by glowing solid white, as shown next.
Note that your JBL Charge 3 may flash blue, especially if you’ve never paired it with a device since the last factory reset. In that case, skip the next step (Step 8) and pick up with Step 9.
8. Put your Charge 3 JBL into Bluetooth Discovery Mode
Now, to allow the Alexa smart speaker to find your JBL Charge 3, place the speaker into discovery mode. For that, press and release the Bluetooth button, as shown in the next picture, pointed at by the green arrow.
When you press the Bluetooth Discovery Mode button, the speaker makes a repeating single pluck guitar note sound several times. Also, the power button changes from a solid white glow to flashing blue. See this next.
9. Go Back to your Mobile Device
The screen with the blue Pair a New Device button should still be showing, as in the next screenshot.
10. Tap the Pair a New Device Button to Continue with How to Connect JBL Charge 3 to Alexa
This starts your Alexa speaker scanning for any nearby Bluetooth devices that are themselves in discovery mode. Your JBL Charge 3 is now in Bluetooth discovery mode. So your Alexa should find it if close enough to be in range.
So, after a short delay, you should see something like the screen we got. Shown next.
In our demo, the Amazon Alexa app found our JBL Charge 3 speaker, named JBL Charge 3.
11. Find your JBL Charge 3 on the Discovered Devices List
See the screenshot above. Our scan found two devices. It found the JBL Charge 3 as well as our Roku player. So, we located our Charge 3 JBL in the list, as pointed at by the dark purple arrow in that picture.
12. Finally, Connect your Alexa with your JBL Charge 3
Connect to the JBL Charge 3 by tapping the listed speaker, shown in the last screenshot above.
The Alexa speaker then connects with the JBL Charge 3.
Then, the Alexa App’s Bluetooth Settings screen then rearranges to look something like the following.
Also, the JBL Charge 3 makes the Speaker Paired sound (the three ascending guitar notes). Note that the Bluetooth symbol to the left of the listed speaker item also turns blue in the last screenshot, as pointed at by the dark purple arrow.
The JBL Charge 3 is now connected with your Alexa smart speaker. Thus, the Power button on the Charge 3 now glows solid blue to show that a successful Bluetooth connection has been established, as shown next.
13. Done with How to Connect JBL Charge 3 to Alexa !
We have now successfully connected this Bluetooth speaker with an Alexa speaker. So we can now ask Alexa to play music. Then, those tunes will play on the bodacious sounding JBL Charge 3. Enjoy!
Related Posts to How to Connect JBL Charge 3 to Alexa
- How to Connect JBL Charge 4 to Alexa
- How to Connect JBL Flip 3 to Alexa
- Connecting a JBL Flip 5 to Alexa
- How to Connect Instant Pot to WiFi
- How to Connect JBL Speaker to Alexa
- Connecting Sharp Aquos TV to WiFi
- How to Connect WiFi on Denon S 32 Internet Radio
- Connecting Amazon Dot to Spotify
- How to Connect Pandora to Echo Dot
- How to Connect a Wonderboom Speaker to an iPhone
Other Posts About the JBL Charge 3 Power Bank BT Speaker
- Pairing JBL Charge 3 with Google Home Instructions
- JBL Charge 3 Low Frequency Mode, How to Switch It
- How to Run JBL Charge 3 Firmware Check
- JBL Charge 3 Speaker Review, Features, Specs
- Updating Firmware on JBL Charge 3, How To
- JBL Charge 3 Change Name, How to Rename It
- How to Adjust Volume on JBL Charge 3 Speaker
- JBL Charge 3 Buttons Guide, What Each Button Does
- Specs for the JBL Charge 3 Power Bank Speaker
- JBL Charge 3 Reset Button, Where It Is Located
- How to Tell if JBL Charge 3 is Charging
- JBL Charge 3 Charger Adapter Specs
- Finding JBL Charge 3 Firmware Version
- JBL Charge 3 Picture Gallery for this Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Recharge Charge 3 Speaker
- JBL Charge 3 Charging Instructions, How to Recharge
- Pairing Victor Reader Trek with JBL Charge 3, How To
- JBL Charge 3 Firmware Update Instructions
- JBL Charge 3 Google Home Pairing Instructions
- Charge 3 JBL Speaker Factory Reset Instructions
- JBL Charge 3 How to Pair with iOS Devices
References for Pairing JBL Charge 3 with Amazon Alexa Echo Dot Speakers
- JBL Charge 3 Portable Bluetooth Speaker and Power Bank Product Page, on JBL.com
- Amazon Alexa Echo Dot II Speaker Product Page, at Amazon.com
- 2020-08-01: First published.