Here, we show how to restart the Echo Dot 3rd Generation smart speaker, and put it back to factory default settings. So why would you ever want to restart it? Well, you may wish to sell or give it to another person. Or link it to a new Amazon account. Or connect it to a new WiFi network. In all these cases, restarting is the best way to clean out all old account data from this Alexa speaker. Restart gets it ready to use on a new account and / or WiFi network.
To restart Echo Dot 3rd generation and unlink it from its current Amazon account, run through the routine below.
Do not always restart as a first step for fixing strange speaker behavior. Before restarting the speaker, try turning it off for fifteen seconds. Do this by unplugging its power cable either from the wall outlet, or from the speaker itself. Then, wait for a quarter minute. Then plug it back in. This rebooting often restores proper working. But if not, read on for the proper restart procedure.
Once you restart Echo Dot 3rd generation you’ll no longer be able to control the speaker from your Amazon account. To get control of it back, run through the setup procedure again. There, relink the speaker to that account again via the Alexa app.
How to Restart Echo Dot 3rd Generation
1. Attach Wall Power Cable
First, connect the Echo Dot 3rd Generation to its 12-volt power adapter cord, as shown next.
2. Next, Plug the Power Cord into a Working Wall Outlet
See this as shown next.
Then, wait for the speaker to finish booting. Booting is done when either the light ring goes dark, or it begins flashing orange, red, or purple.
3. Next, Press and Hold the Action Button for 5 to 10 Seconds to Continue with How to Restart Echo Dot 3rd Generation
Press the Action button until the light ring turns orange. You should also hear the speaker announce that it is entering setup mode. On this speaker, the Action button doubles as the Restart button, and is pointed at by the green arrow in the next picture.
4. Finally, What Happens After Restart ?
Your Echo Dot 3rd Generation is now restored to its factory default settings. It also has entered Setup mode, as shown next.
Pack it Up or Set it Up Again
You may now give your Echo Dot 3rd Generation to another now. Don’t fear that they’ll have access to the Alexa settings on your Amazon account. Or, you can set it up again on your existing account.
But if selling, we suggest that you pack the speaker in its original carton. Do this for safest transport through the mail, as shown in the next picture. Then, pack this box in another outer box for further safety.
Other Posts About the Echo Dot 3rd Generation
- How to Set Up Echo Dot 3rd Generation
- Echo Dot 3rd Generation Charger Specs & Details
- How to Reset Echo Dot 3rd Generation
Related Posts to How to Restart Echo Dot 3rd Generation
- How to Restart Echo Dot Smart Speaker
- Restarting Chromecast Audio
- How to Restart Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Generation
- How To Restart Charge 4 Bluetooth Speaker
- Restarting the JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Restart Google Home Speaker
- How to Restart Google Home Mini Speaker
- Restarting JBL Go 2 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Restart Charge 3 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Restart Samsung Galaxy J7 Android Phone
- Restart Honeywell Thermostat, How To
- How to Restart Alexa Echo Dot, Amazon Dot
- Restart Alexa Smart Speaker, How To
- How to Restart Alexa Dot Smart Speaker
- How to Restart JBL Flip 5 Bluetooth Speaker
- Restarting JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Restart JBL Xtreme Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Restart Alexa Echo Dot Speaker
- Restart Amazon Echo Dot Speaker, How To
- How to Restart JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Speaker
- How to Force Restart Samsung J7
References for How to Restart Echo Dot 3rd Generation
- All-new Echo Dot (3rd Gen) – Smart speaker with Alexa, on Amazon.com
- What is Amazon Echo? on Wikipedia
- 2020-07-01: First published.